Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Struggling with a decision

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:36 PM
  • 7 Replies
I'm really struggling with the decision on whether or not to homeschool my oldest next year. We did it for 1st grade and now he's in a private school for 2nd until I graduate. My mom is such a huge influence in my life and she's very much against it even though she willingly (and even volunteered) to help homeschool my kindergartener while I do my internship. She feels like he needs to stay in school for the experience and that its so important he have friends. I of course know the homeschooled kids anti-social myth is all crap, but I hate to keep hearing this from my mom, and to disappoint her. I know I want to homeschool, but also know him and I clash personalities which makes it very frustrating most days.....that along with what my mom always says has me second guessing if homeschooling is the best route next year. :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Precious333
by Julia on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Some people need to see it to believe it.....and sometimes that take s along time. I know several people that are homeschooling while going to school. How does DH feel about it? Do you have a community of homeschoolers you are involved with? That helps as well.

BramblePatch
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:48 PM
Your child. Your choice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:51 PM
DH wants me to homeschool them but also says to maybe keep oldest in school because he sees me get frustrated. DS8 and i clash personalities and honestly its nice to have that break from each other. But I'm willing to set my feelings aside and bite my tongue because of our personal beliefs on the school system and negative social interactions among peers these days. We have a large community of homeschoolers here that always have things going on but that doesn't shut my mom up lol. I guess if we do it then I'll have to just block her opinions from my head because they always leave me second guessing.

Quoting Precious333:

Some people need to see it to believe it.....and sometimes that take s along time. I know several people that are homeschooling while going to school. How does DH feel about it? Do you have a community of homeschoolers you are involved with? That helps as well.

Precious333
by Julia on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:55 PM

I'm sorry she is being negative :( My inlaws are the same way.  Maybe there is a co-op or classes you can do, so that you get a break?

Quoting rsrangel:

DH wants me to homeschool them but also says to maybe keep oldest in school because he sees me get frustrated. DS8 and i clash personalities and honestly its nice to have that break from each other. But I'm willing to set my feelings aside and bite my tongue because of our personal beliefs on the school system and negative social interactions among peers these days. We have a large community of homeschoolers here that always have things going on but that doesn't shut my mom up lol. I guess if we do it then I'll have to just block her opinions from my head because they always leave me second guessing.

Quoting Precious333:

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:59 PM
1 mom liked this
That's a great idea. I'll look into it to see what we have in the area. Thanks!

Quoting Precious333:

I'm sorry she is being negative :( My inlaws are the same way.  Maybe there is a co-op or classes you can do, so that you get a break?

Quoting rsrangel:

Quoting Precious333:

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:19 PM

My big suggestion, because I'm always second guessing myself as well... please own your decision.   Whichever you make, have confidence in what you do.  

If you decide to homeschool, there are plenty of opportunities to be involved in stuff.  Yes, sometimes that takes a little extra cash flow, but not everything costs money.   If you join at least one homeschool group, (sometimes join more than one) you can get involved with cheaper activities than if you try to do them on your own.

Regarding the banging of heads that will probably happen between you and your son if you decide to homeschool.... the only way to work through that (yes, I said work through it, not avoid it)...is to realize you are the authority and don't need to power struggle to prove it.   Just set reasonable goals, say what is expected, and expect him to rise to the occasion.   Allow him moments that he won't... but also allow simple consequences for his decisions.   Take your emotions out of it..

tnt-manda
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:34 AM
Absolutley whatever you decide own it, remember they are your kids and you and your dh make the decisions for them. No one else, you don't want to regret having not done something you really felt led to do just because you did not want to influence outside opinons. I say this because none of my in-laws support our decision and thats fine I don't ask them to, all I ask is that they respect it. Some after three years are starting to come around to it.

I also totally relate my oldest 10, and me constantly butt heads are personalities are so much alike, but you can work around it. We manage some days better than others you may try a co-op or other hs group in your area or try a dvd or online curriculum that maybe your not so much his teacher as you are a guide/helper, either way their are so many options out their you can make it work. Remember hs is a little trial and error and constant tweeking or making adjustments every family and every child is different. best of luck!

Quoting KrissyKC:

My big suggestion, because I'm always second guessing myself as well... please own your decision.   Whichever you make, have confidence in what you do.  

If you decide to homeschool, there are plenty of opportunities to be involved in stuff.  Yes, sometimes that takes a little extra cash flow, but not everything costs money.   If you join at least one homeschool group, (sometimes join more than one) you can get involved with cheaper activities than if you try to do them on your own.

Regarding the banging of heads that will probably happen between you and your son if you decide to homeschool.... the only way to work through that (yes, I said work through it, not avoid it)...is to realize you are the authority and don't need to power struggle to prove it.   Just set reasonable goals, say what is expected, and expect him to rise to the occasion.   Allow him moments that he won't... but also allow simple consequences for his decisions.   Take your emotions out of it..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN