Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Choosing accredited or not.

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:49 AM
  • 14 Replies

I am new to this group and have just in the past month decided to homeschool.  I have three little ones (1,3 &5) and my oldest will start Kindergarten in the fall.  I have just purchased the Abeka video's for PreK and have opted to do the independent study.  I am unsure if it helps my sons transcripts at this young of an age to participate in the accredited option. 

I also was considering the Sonlight curriculum for next year and have discovered many pro's for this program such as keeping the materials to reuse for my youngsters when age appropriate, option for 6 month payment plan on purchase and many reviews say it is more fun over all.  Again the accredited question comes into play as Sonlight is not accredited. 

Thank you so much for all you answers and assistance!!!

Leksie

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
haskins46563
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:50 AM

I don't think an accredited program is necessary at all. It's basically just a third party stamp of approval that it meets certain criteria.  I suppose depending on how strict your state laws are, it may make the process easier if you have to supply a lot of detail in your plans.  However in my state all we have to do is take attendance to 180 days per year.  

I don't use an all in one curriculum and would not want to be tied to something specific just because someone else "approved" it's usefulness. Different children learn different ways.  My kids are polar opposites in the way they learn. I select curriculum by how well it fits my kids.  

Here is an article I found that explains accredited programs.  It states that it doesn't improve a child's chances at success in learning or college admissions. 

http://www.homeschool-curriculum-savings.com/accredited-homeschooling.html

hope that helps!

BramblePatch
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't think accredited is important, especially in the elementary years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coala
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:01 AM

We use ABeka's accredited program.  We didn't use it for K4 and you don't really need it for K5 (Kindergarten) b/c compulsory age is 6 (essentially first grade).  Both my girls LOVE the program.  My 4 1/2 yo started K5 this week and is doing wonderful.  I think she would be more into it if we did the traditional program vs. the DVD program.  She is just super advanced for a child her age.  The reason we chose ABeka is because of the accredidation.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:10 PM

@ leksie  ~  

This is really the only reason that someone may opt for using an accredited curriculum.

I write all of my own schoolwork or print what I want or need from the internet or have scanned into my hard drive and then print for use as school work.  I even buy activity books and such to use as a part of my own devised curriculum.  

So, in my humble opinion, you do not NEED an accredited curriculum to educate your children properly. It just lends to other's views on how well educated a child is.  

Hope this helps. :)  

Quoting haskins46563:

I don't think an accredited program is necessary at all. It's basically just a third party stamp of approval that it meets certain criteria.  I suppose depending on how strict your state laws are, it may make the process easier if you have to supply a lot of detail in your plans.  However in my state all we have to do is take attendance to 180 days per year.  

I don't use an all in one curriculum and would not want to be tied to something specific just because someone else "approved" it's usefulness. Different children learn different ways.  My kids are polar opposites in the way they learn. I select curriculum by how well it fits my kids.  

Here is an article I found that explains accredited programs.  It states that it doesn't improve a child's chances at success in learning or college admissions. 

http://www.homeschool-curriculum-savings.com/accredited-homeschooling.html

hope that helps!

undefined

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Curriculum isn't accredited, only schools are.

Accredidation isn't vital... especially at this age.   Transcripts aren't really kept until high school or at least closer to high school.

*edited*   I said that wrong...  only schools and "programs" are...  but curriculum itself isn't accredited.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I, personally, don't worry about accreditation until high school. Then I'll probably choose an umbrella school.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:54 AM

We did not use accredited with any of our children.  All but one is now grown.  :-)

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

This. I wouldn't worry about it until the older grades.

Quoting BramblePatch:

I don't think accredited is important, especially in the elementary years.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Accreditation within schools isn't as it used to be. If you look at public high schools all over the country, MOST of them are not accredited anymore.  They are just able to handout a high school diploma because they are a public school.  Colleges are starting to accept homeschool diplomas with portfolios. 

leksie
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:24 AM

Thank you everyone!!!!  Your replies were such help and I appreciate your time!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)