Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do you teach your child to read?

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:56 AM
  • 25 Replies

My 4 year old knows how to write all the letters of the alphabet, upper and lowercase. She knows the sound of each letter. Is there something you use to help your child learn how to read. She knows about 20+ sight words from memorization. What do you use? programs, method etc? Anything would great help. She got tons of Leap Frog books and games to help start with early reading. I just feel like there is something I might be missing. Thank You!

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coala
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Start with some blending on consonants and vowels.  We used ABeka's program and in conjunction with Leap Frog videos.  My now 4 yo was "trying" to read since she was about 20 mos old.  She just couldn't make the connections.  She started making the connections this past spring and is reading on a 2nd grade level now.  She started reading before she turned 4.  It takes patience, but pull out some fridge magnets and put a consonant and a vowel side by side and go thorugh something like la, le, li, lo, lu.

romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Once they learn the letters s, a, m, r, n, t, o, d they should be able to  read "Sam & Dan" (it is free at this link).  After learning I,b,c,e,g and long  a they should be able to read their second book....so on and so on.   Bob Books, early reader school books, and Ring Around The Phonics books are all taught in this sequence so that children are reading books while learning their phonic sounds.

If she has any trouble blending them to form words, you can use the Game "Ring Around The Phonics" to help her with that.  

P.S. Ring Around The Phonics is all I use to teach reading, phonics, spelling, beginning comprehension and other language arts subjects..

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 4:03 PM
2 moms liked this
Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Lessons - taught all my kids to read with this!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 9, 2013 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi craftymom.  Welcome to the group.  :)

You might start with simple words like: at cat sat bat or fun sun bun run. Then use them in a very simple sentence for her to sound out and read to you.  One thing you might try when doing this is tell her to read the letters and say the sound. You want your daughter to understand that she is reading what is in front of her, even if it's just a letter. That encourages the child to want to "read" more.  If you find she is soaking up what you are teaching then you should probably start with some more in depth words such as shake flake brake. Also, if you put an action to the word then she might be more inclined to remember the lertters and the word itself.  All depending on her learning style.  

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I plan to use either Memoria Press' phonics program or Catholic Heritage Curriculum's "Little Stories for Little Folks" phonics program. My son will be in kinder this fall.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 4:19 PM
we use ordinary parents guide to teaching reading, horizons phonics and reading, and bob books for more practice.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 4:21 PM
I also recommend readingeggs.com. My kids love it and have learned so much!
craftymom2b
by New Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Thank you ladies so much! I am so excited to try these wonderful suggestions. Thanks so much!

Precious333
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:16 PM
I read a lot to them, we play some games to help practice the sounds of letters and leap frog movies. Www.starfall.com is a great website too.
ColtsFan1912
by Bekah on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I've been using a combation of Horizons (which is quite extensive imo) & I use 1+1+1=1 You Can Read program. It's free. It uses sightwords but has other activities. Word searches, bingo, writing practice. My son really likes it & has learned a lot.  http://www.1plus1plus1equals1.net/2011/04/you-can-read/

sorry. not sure how to make it clicky :\

Reading to them helps a lot. we got a lot of simple books that help my son. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)