Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you make any of your own cleaners/detergents?

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:09 PM
  • 17 Replies

I made laundry detergent twice, but I didn't feel like it got my clothes clean.  I do make my own cleaners (baking soda and vinegar).  Care to share your recipes? :)

WAHM of Coco Bear Cloth and retailer for several major brands including BumGenius, Flip, GroVia, Rockin Green, Piggy Paint, Melissa & Doug and more! 

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:25 PM

I do make my own cleaners, including laundry soap & dishwasher detergent.

dishwasher detergent

• 1 cup borax
  • 1 cup washing soda
  • 1/2 cup citric acid
  • 1/2 cup kosher salt (for scrubbing action)

Use 1 Tbsp per load (you can use a heaping tablespoon if you feel the need, but we do not).

Each batch yields 24 ounces of detergent. We recommend storing in a container you were going to dispose of anyway, like an old yogurt container or coffee can you can fit it under your kitchen sink. Feel free to double the batch, or multiply to create any amount you’d like.

Powdered laundry soap

2 cups Borax                                          2 cups Bar soap (grated)
2 cups Baking Soda
2 cups Washing Soda                                    2 cups Oxiclean

• Mix all ingredients well and store in a sealed tub.
  • Use 1/8 cup of powder per full load.
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:12 PM

The laundry soap sounds like my recipe, except we didn't use oxy clean.  I wonder if it really makes a big difference?  I would wash our clothes and after a few weeks, jeans still looked dirty and nothing ever smelled clean.  Maybe it just doesn't work with our water.

Quoting usmom3:

dishwasher detergent

• 1 cup borax
  • 1 cup washing soda
  • 1/2 cup citric acid

Use 1 Tbsp per load (you can use a heaping tablespoon if you feel the need, but we do not).

Each batch yields 24 ounces of detergent. We recommend storing in a container you were going to dispose of anyway, like an old yogurt container or coffee can you can fit it under your kitchen sink. Feel free to double the batch, or multiply to create any amount you’d like.

Powdered laundry soap

2 cups Baking Soda

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Our clothes come out with no smell at all (if you want a smell adding essential oils will do that). The Oxiclean is something I added for additional boost of cleaning power because my hubby works on out cars & grease is hard to get out of clothes.

Quoting Boobah:

The laundry soap sounds like my recipe, except we didn't use oxy clean.  I wonder if it really makes a big difference?  I would wash our clothes and after a few weeks, jeans still looked dirty and nothing ever smelled clean.  Maybe it just doesn't work with our water.

Quoting usmom3:

dishwasher detergent

• 1 cup borax
  • 1 cup washing soda
  • 1/2 cup citric acid

Powdered laundry soap

2 cups Baking Soda

SuperMommy408
by Tamara on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:06 PM
I have made my own detergent it's very similar to usmom3 recipe except I make the liquid version and I add essential oil to ours,I'm going to make a batch this week.

I also use baking soda and vinegar to clean and also I get a spray bottle and put vinegar in it and put our orange peels in it and let it sit for a while. I forgot how long and you'll have something like a orange citrus cleaning spray.

I also saw that a mom made a paste out of baking soda and salt I believe and scrubbed her bathtub.

I also simmer apple peels and cinnamon it smells so good!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:19 PM

I will have to try the orange peals in the vinegar.

I saw a pin on pinterest that showed making a past out of baking soda & peroxide would get the stains off of baking pans.

We take oranges that have dried out a little & no one wants to eat, cut them up & put them with coves, cinnamon & nutmeg in a big pot of water & boil it to make the house smell good (it is also great if anyone has a stuffy nose helps them breath a little with the moister in the air)

Quoting SuperMommy408:

I have made my own detergent it's very similar to usmom3 recipe except I make the liquid version and I add essential oil to ours,I'm going to make a batch this week.

I also use baking soda and vinegar to clean and also I get a spray bottle and put vinegar in it and put our orange peels in it and let it sit for a while. I forgot how long and you'll have something like a orange citrus cleaning spray.

I also saw that a mom made a paste out of baking soda and salt I believe and scrubbed her bathtub.

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:41 PM
I make my own laundry powder, use only two teaspoons per load, and it works great! I use vinegar as a softener. I scrub the tub and sinks with baking soda, Castile soap and vinegar. It works better than anything I've ever used before. I also use vodka, peroxide, rubbing alcohol, olive oil, beeswax, essential oils, borax, washing soda, salt and lemon juice as cleaners, polishes, and stain treatment.

I used to use homemade dishwasher powder, but it left cloudy residue on my glassware and flatware, no matter how I tweaked it. Our water is really hard. We use Seventh Generation liquid now.
SuperMommy408
by Tamara on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:05 PM
I'm going to have to try the unwanted oranges with cloves and nutmeg . I bet it smells awesome :)

Quoting usmom3:

I saw a pin on pinterest that showed making a past out of baking soda & peroxide would get the stains off of baking pans.

We take oranges that have dried out a little & no one wants to eat, cut them up & put them with coves, cinnamon & nutmeg in a big pot of water & boil it to make the house smell good (it is also great if anyone has a stuffy nose helps them breath a little with the moister in the air)

Quoting SuperMommy408:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:05 PM
1 mom liked this

It dose!

Quoting SuperMommy408:

I'm going to have to try the orange,cloves,nutmeg . I bet it smells awesome :)

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting SuperMommy408:

justme00
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:38 PM
I make my own cleaner out of vinegar and mouth wash. It don't smell very nice but cleans everything.
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:19 PM

I've been making my own laundry detergent for a few months now.  The recipe I use is

1 bar of fels nafta (grated)

1 1/2 cups of borax

1 1/2 cups of washing soda

I use 1 tablespoon per load.  It works great and costs so much less.  I love not having to carry this big jugs of detergent out of the store. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)