Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you make any of your own cleaners/detergents?

Posted by   + Show Post

I made laundry detergent twice, but I didn't feel like it got my clothes clean.  I do make my own cleaners (baking soda and vinegar).  Care to share your recipes? :)

WAHM of Coco Bear Cloth and retailer for several major brands including BumGenius, Flip, GroVia, Rockin Green, Piggy Paint, Melissa & Doug and more! 

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Replies (11-17):
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:20 PM

These are some great tips!!

Quoting tuffymama:

I make my own laundry powder, use only two teaspoons per load, and it works great! I use vinegar as a softener. I scrub the tub and sinks with baking soda, Castile soap and vinegar. It works better than anything I've ever used before. I also use vodka, peroxide, rubbing alcohol, olive oil, beeswax, essential oils, borax, washing soda, salt and lemon juice as cleaners, polishes, and stain treatment.

I used to use homemade dishwasher powder, but it left cloudy residue on my glassware and flatware, no matter how I tweaked it. Our water is really hard. We use Seventh Generation liquid now.

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:22 PM

I've always wanted to make my own personal care products like bodywash, deordant, and lotion.  Just haven't got around to it yet. 

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Mostly, I just use bleach water for everything...

except, I do want to try making my own clothes detergent someday soon.

Alyson121
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:46 PM

I make my own cleaning sprays - apple cider vinegar, water, and essential oils.  I only use white vinegar for my clothes.  I also make my own room sprays by boiling whatever kind of smell i want it to be.  For instance i'll make a lavender spray with lavender buds infused with water.  I recently made a citrus spray with peels from oranges and water and added some tangerine oil. 

IntlMom12
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Here are several recipes that I have used:

Body wash: 1 bar Ivory soap (or any that you like), grated

Put soap in saucepan, cover with water and melt over medium low heat until soap is dissolved. Pour into a 1-gallon jug (I use a cleaned milk jug) and fill the rest of the way with water. Shake. It will thicken overnight. I add a bit more water in the morning as it thickens a lot, but you don't have to do that. I then put some in an old body wash container to put in the shower because who has room to put a milk jug in there!

Glass cleaner

3 cups water

2 T. rubbing alcohol

1/4 c. distilled white vinegar

5 drops lavender essential oil (optional, for scent)

1/2 T. liquid castile soap

In a well-ventilated area, use funnel to pour water, alcohol, vinegar and oil into a bottle. Shake. Add soap. Shake well. Spray windows and wipe with newspaper.

*I haven't made this yet because I had stock piled windex and I still have it, however a good friend uses it and it works great.

No-poo shampoo

Mix 1 T. baking soda with 1 cup of water and wash like normal. I use one of those ketchup bottles with a lid that you can buy at Dollar General, Walmart, etc. and squeeze it ont my hair in sections to get to the roots.

Conditioner

1 T. apple cider vinegar

1 cup water

I put this in a squirt bottle so I can get even coverage all over my hair. Spritz it all over your hair and then rinse when you are done showering.

Homemade deodorant

1/4 c. baking soda

1/4 c. arrowroot powder or cornstarch (I use cornstarch)

Approximately 5-6 T. coconut oil

Combine the cornstarch and baking soda. Then slowly add coconut oil and work it in with a spoon until it maintains the consistency you desire (I use approximately 5-6 T). It should be about the same texture as the store bought kind. You can either scoop this into your old dispensers or place in a small container with lid and apply with your fingers. You may add essential oils if you want it to be scented.

Homemade dishwasher soap

1 cup borax

1 cup washing soda

1/2 cup Lemi-Shine

1/2 cup Kosher salt

Use 1 T. per load

Use white vinegar in rinse agent compartment

Liquid Hand Soap

1 part castile soap

3 parts water

3-5 drops lemon essential oil

Pour all ingredients into a foaming soap dispenser and done.

Mint toothpaste

3 T coconut oil

3 T baking soda

1/2 small packet of stevia powder

20-25 drops of peppermint essential oil

Mix all together and store in an air-tight container

Natural Wood Cleaner

Mix 1 part olive oil with 1 part vinegar. Add in orange or lemon essential oil to get the smell you want. I mix it in a squeeze bottle with a lid. Shake well with each use. I squeeze a bit onto a microfiber or bamboo cloth and rub it in with the grain.

Carmen
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 NKJ

energygirl
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I make my own laundry (like some of the other replies...borax washingsoda and castille soap)..............I use Dr. Bronners almond soap (buy it by the gallon) for bodywash and handsoap (I use the hand dispensors that you add some soap and then water to making suds) and for the bodywash I put it in a pump container...works great.  I like that it is safer to use....and I like having a lot of it on hand.  I was amazed at how much less I cut coupons once I went to those things!  I use vinegar and water to clean most things with.  I tried making my own dishsoap with dr bronners but our well water is hard and it left a film.....so for now I do use storebought dishsoap. 

oredeb
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:01 PM

i also make my own cleaners, soap, etc

i use this recipe for the laundry soap, and i use my own homemade bar soap instead of fels napa, http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/laundrysoap.htm, been using it for the last 7 years

i make our bar soap and shampoo using vinegar as a conditioner

for cleaning  the house, counters, bathrooms kitchen etc i use rubbing alchol, vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, lemon juice,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN