Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do you keep yourself from becoming overwhelmed?

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:35 PM
  • 9 Replies
I've posted before about wanting to start homeschooling (and you guys were SO helpful!) but now I have another question!

There is so much to choose from, so much to learn, so many decisions to make. How do you keep yourself from diving too far in and getting overwhelmed?

I can see myself doing this.

For example ...

Let's say we are learning about the weather (you can insert anything in here, reading, phonics, addition, Egypt, the presidents). I can see myself going through whatever material we selected for the lesson and then searching the Internet for HOURS trying to find anything I possibly could that might be fun and educational on that topic.

I've done it before when I used to work at a daycare and even at home now with my own children.

You just have access to so much stuff and you want to make sure you're approaching it in the correct way and the best way and a fun way.

Then, you're so exhausted from all the work you've done PREPARING it, you can't even carry it all out!
I can see myself doing this and I'd love any tips or suggestions on how to reign in the over achieverness!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL I have fallen victim to this several times. I keep a lot of things bookmarked on the computer in idea specific files so when I run across something awesome, I can simply check my book marks and Pinterest for fun and awesome things. It helps to have a vague outline at the beginning of the year as to what will come up.

dakojayd88
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 5:23 PM
2 moms liked this

Try some books. Everytime i go on the computer for homeschooling ideas i get carried away, i end up only looking up ideas instead of actually doing homeschooling. The library is a great place to find homeschool books. And when you do have the time pinterest has really cool homeschooling stuff, you can just pin it and go straight to your board :)

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Narrow your topic ahead of time if possible...

Like if you are doing Weather, if the topic for the week is wind.  You might discuss wind currents one day and do some fun activities on wind currents.   Another day you might discuss how damaging wind can be... like tornados and windstorms.    Another day you might highlight how people use wind to create energy (wind turbines)

and make a general plan of what you might do and what would just take too much effort.   When you get what you want, make yourself stop and don't keep looking. 

In their 12-13 years of schooling, they will probably study the wind more than once.. or twice... so it doesn't all have to be covered the first time.

collinsmommy0
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this
That's exactly why I need a curriculum. My plan is to get curriculums then just do extra when we have time.

I did the same thing as a special Ed teacher. DS is 1.5 & I have books & stuff all the way up to 5th grade from all of my teaching experience....yet it sits in bins (probably not to be used again until I start working again in 10 years or so!) I already bought some preschool stuff & DS is 1.5.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gratefulgal
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Actually, that sounds EXACTLY like me. lol :) I will let you know that there is more than one way to skin a cat (hate that term) and you'll see a MILLION activities for say-- weather-- and you need like 3. So of course you try to do a million.

I heard a saying and it really stuck with me, "You crossed the finish line. Won the race but lost your mind. Was it worth it after all?" This helps keep me sane when it seems like I'm running an endless race.

The fact that you're diving in with both feet is actually what you want. That's the spirit that will keep you going when things get rough. ;)

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:22 PM

LOL!   Yes, I have boxes and boxes of preschool material that I've had MOST of it since my first child...  I now have a third that is preschool age and we are only scratching the surface of what I own... LOL!

Quoting collinsmommy0:

That's exactly why I need a curriculum. My plan is to get curriculums then just do extra when we have time.

I did the same thing as a special Ed teacher. DS is 1.5 & I have books & stuff all the way up to 5th grade from all of my teaching experience....yet it sits in bins (probably not to be used again until I start working again in 10 years or so!) I already bought some preschool stuff & DS is 1.5.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I have learned to let things go.  If I don't get to it then it wasn't that important to begin with.  I also know eventually I will get to it.  I am also flexible and know things will change as we get involved.  I started on planning on studying ancient history and ended up doing a year in depth study of China. I know no matter what we are doing they are getting a better education than in any school.  We read constantly.  I use curriculum but I enjoy taking out parts I don't want and adding new ones in.    The trick to homeschooling is being flexible and to realize our children are learning more than we even realize.  I have found that doing extra when you have time never works.  You have to make time for the things you really want to do.  

ashlelyb_0827
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Thank you for all the suggestions! I knew I would get some great advice from you ladies!
Making out a rough plan for the year from the beginning should help a lot. Then I at least know what I should and should not dive into right then.
I also like book marking things in very specific files. Right now, my files are too vague "science" for example could be a whoooole lot of stuff. LOL.

I'm also very grateful for your inspiring and encouraging words. All things I needed to hear!

I'm so glad I'm not alone

oahoah
by Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:11 PM

I'm still trying to figure this out! I will usually set a time limit or a limit on the websites I visit.  Same goes with library books, how many on a certain topic.  I ask my boys every month what they'd like to learn about and we try to get at least that done.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)