Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New to Cafe Mom, New to Homeschooling

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 2:15 PM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hi everyone..

I will start with introducing myself. I am a mom of 5 boys..oldest Hunter is 16 in april, followed by Logan who is 9 in feb, Trevor 6, Jacob (Jake) 5 and Brennan who just turned 2. I am homeschooling Logan 3rd grade,Trevor 1st, and Jacob is Pre-k he just turned 5 last October...everything is going great. It is my first year to teach my own kids, but I am a former Pre K teacher from a Private School who taught the ABEKA program to 4/5 yr olds.

I am teaching my kids with Bob Jones Curr.,and some Abeka. Bible is thru Postive Action thru Christ. We joined a Home School Group in my city, and take Art classes at our church on Thursdays.  We are loving it!!! I decided to homeschool my boys due to the fact that Logan who is almost 9 has not been receiving the help he needs for his speech delay as we would like. He also had a hard time with the kids at school, he has been teased and picked on for a few years( even by a teacher) and we just thought enough was enough. He was born premature and has several different issues physically as well. You wouldnt know it too look at him though.

I am blessed to have husband who is just as much involved with helping and teaching them as well, and who can provide us everything we need to have all the tools we need to make it happen. I am so glad to have found this group and can wait to get to know everyone!!!!

Delena

by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamamedic69
by Deanna on Jan. 12, 2013 at 2:19 PM
2 moms liked this
Welcome to the group and cafe mom. I'm Deanna and I am homeschooling my dd. We are working on pre-k stuff right now as she is only 3.5 but asked to learn.

I'm still researching which program to use for kindergarten but currently using ABCmouse.com, starfall, and easy Peasy homeschool.

Have a great day. ;)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 12, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Welcome Delena, there are a lot of us that came to homeschooling because the public school was failing our children!

cjsmom1
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Welcome!!! This is my first year homeschooling ds who is 7. I use an online public charter school, K12. We're homeschooling because ds is a little advanced and the local public school was doing nothing to help him.

romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Welcome Delena

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Welcome Delana,   My name is Brenda and I have home educating for 20 yrs so far and I am down to my last child (she is 15).  We also have a whole slew of grandbabies (28 with 3 more on the way!) many of whom are already being educated at home.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Welcome! 8)

How have your boys adjusted to being at home?

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Hello!

We tried our oldest two in public school.   We weren't happy with their education, social development, etc. either.   Also, we believe in creation not in evolution, so that impacted our decision a bit, too.   Our kids are 11, 8, 4, and 6 months.   My oldest three each have their own issues... (impulse control, possible attention problems, hyperactivity, and one has social issues) so public school just wasn't positive in their lives.   Kids deserve positive growth in our minds... so we pulled them.

I struggle, but I like to think they are doing better with me than in brick and mortar.

Welcome to our group.   I've been doing this 3 years now, and the older ones still say HSing is better.

oredeb
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:57 AM

welcome delena!!! congratulations on homeschooling!!! you'll never regret it!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Hi Delena!  Welcome!   You have come to the right website and the right group. They are both really great places to be when on the internet. :)  

My name is Sonja and I've been homeschooling for about 13 years straight but off and on for about 18 years.   How do your boys like being homeschooled? Are they still adjusting?  What are there favorite things to learn?

5boysproud
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Thanks for the great welcome!!! Sorry I didnt reply sooner. All of us have been dropping like flies around here, started off with my 2 yr old getting sick, then one by one we all fell victim to so type of stomach bug, so it's been a rough week. Im thinking the last one is finally getting over it thank goodness!! I appreciate everyone being so kind, and will be around more often to learn for you guys. We are all loving our first year, and feel in our hearts we made the right decision...Thanks again, Delena

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN