Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CLE Math

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:30 PM
  • 12 Replies
Has anyone used this program?
I am thinking about using it for my 1st and 2nd graders next year.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CharMom23
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Bump
usmom3
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I don't know anything about it. Maybe someone else in here uses it or know something about it.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:31 PM

CLE is traditional in presentation and spiral. It is rigorous compared to most other math curricula on the market - make sure your child tests in appropriately; don't rely on grade levels. It is not abnormal for a child to work down a level in this program.

It is very mennonite. Lol. Even the word problems portray their faith. It is a worktext which I find nice - the child can learn and write in the same booklet (each grade has about 10 "light units" I believe). The TM is a must, in my opinion.

I do not use it now, but I have in the past, and it's definitely my default if what I'm using doesn't work.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I don't know what CLE is but if it is what AutymsMommy's says, then I am somewhat familiar with their schooling.  I used to teach my younger brother and sister and they were using mennonite curriculum then. But, that was about 17 years ago.  So I don't think I would be any help now. :)  Sorry. 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:07 PM

There are two main mennonite homschool programs - Rod and Staff and CLE. R&S is the polar opposite in terms of method of presentation - Rod and Staff is mastery and CLE is *very* spiral. Both are solid choices, although I've found Rod and Staff's scope and sequence to be behind compared to some other curricula -vs- CLE being rather "ahead".

Quoting kirbymom:

I don't know what CLE is but if it is what AutymsMommy's says, then I am somewhat familiar with their schooling.  I used to teach my younger brother and sister and they were using mennonite curriculum then. But, that was about 17 years ago.  So I don't think I would be any help now. :)  Sorry. 

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:24 PM

You are very kind to show me the difference. Thank You. :)  I thought that CLE sounded familiar but wasn't too sure. Actually both sound familiar to me.  Not sure which one my siblings used.  You are also right that even their  word sentences reflect their faith and how they work. :)   It shows in all of their work. 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

There are two main mennonite homschool programs - Rod and Staff and CLE. R&S is the polar opposite in terms of method of presentation - Rod and Staff is mastery and CLE is *very* spiral. Both are solid choices, although I've found Rod and Staff's scope and sequence to be behind compared to some other curricula -vs- CLE being rather "ahead".

Quoting kirbymom:

CharMom23
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Thank you!
oredeb
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:44 AM

isnt cle christian light education?

CharMom23
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Yes 

Quoting oredeb:

isnt cle christian light education?

lucsch
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Yes, and I LOVE it. My dd switched from a mastery based program, R&S, after 2nd grade. She has done all of the 200s, 300s, and is in LU406 now. It works very well for us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)