Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

leaving children alone

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:59 PM
  • 36 Replies
I know every child's maturity level is different.....at what age do you think you would feel comfortable leaving your children home alone?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:00 PM
3 moms liked this
At the rate mine are maturing, I don't think they will ever be left alone lol.
Precious333
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Quoting rsrangel:

At the rate mine are maturing, I don't think they will ever be left alone lol.

Lol, my kids are still young, I have three boys all two years apart, I worry by the way they play that someone might get hurt should I leave them alone in teh future, however my oldest can be very responsible at times.

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:09 PM
My oldest is 11 and extremely mature. She watches the other kids for short periods of time.
Vhx
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:10 PM

My 9 year old is fine for short stretches and has been for about a year. She has been honest with me and told me she doesn't feel comfortable with being alone more than an hour or so, and the very fact that she will tell me that and what she is and isn't comfortable with tells me she's mature enough to stay home within her comfort zone.

She's very mature, responsible, has good judgment. She's been an only child up until last month and is pretty independent and level-headed.

Heh, my 2 year old can't be left alone in a childproofed room for 2 minutes. She's a disaster :) I mean that in the best possible way, BTW.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:18 PM

My daughter started staying home alone when she was 10.  I'd let her watch her little brother now that she is 11, but she doesn't want to change diapers.  lol

JuicyRedTomato
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I'm not sure. My kids are still young  and crazy; I don't even feel comfortable leaving them alone to let the dog outside for 2 minutes lol.

coala
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Not sure yet.  My oldest is almost 7 and b/c of the life she lived before coming to live with us I don't think she will be mature enough to handle it at the age most kids are ready for it.  It will all depend on how she matures and handles things over the next few years.  I can tell you that at her age I was babysitting my sister who was 5 and was a latchkey kid.....we are however light years apart in maturity at this point.  BTW I would never consider letting my 7 yo stay home alone with my 4 yo.....not happening.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Well, my oldest, of my 7, is 17 and it has only been within the last few months that I have ever left them alone. There have just been too many news pieces done that have shown where a parent has left their child(ren) alone, even an older child) and someone felt that should never have happened and took that family to court to take away the children from that family.  I have determined that that situation will never happen to myself or my husband.  

There used to be a time when you could leave your older children looking after the younger children at home for a time but those days are long gone now. Now, too many other people live to but in in someone else's buisness and create problems.  

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:52 PM

My oldest is 19 & has Autism so he wasn't ever left home alone until he was 16 (his maturity at that age was that of an 11-13 year old). Now I leave him to babysit the younger 2 that are 9 & 7 but only because of their ages if they where younger I would not put that responsibility on him. 

My younger 2 will not get to stay at home alone until they are mature enough.

Alyson121
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:12 PM

12 years and that would only be for a few hours or so.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)