Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
I know every child's maturity level is different.....at what age do you think you would feel comfortable leaving your children home alone?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Replies (31-36):
MamaDearie
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:25 PM

I am really not sure. My oldest is 9 and very mature in many ways but in even slight crisis situations he freezes like a deer in the headlights. He will definitely have to start responding more quickly when things go awry before I would even consider leaving him alone. And my other two are only 4 1/2 and 2 1/2.

"Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother." (Lin Yutang)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Valentines tickers

Daisypath Easter gifts tickers

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:43 PM
My boys are 14 and we started leaving them alone last year for no more than an hour. Now, we will leave them alone for 3-4 hours at a time, but they have cell phones and we are only a few minutes from the house. I still call and check on them every 30 minutes...lol. They will be 15 in March.
sheila5745
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:08 AM

My child is 14 and has autism and mr. There will never be a time that I would leave her alone while I went some place. I leave her in the house while I run to get the mail or something like that. Even though she talks about getting a job and all that. I have told her she has to be 35 before she can stay home by herself.. LOL

Mommynay2
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:49 AM
Destinay is 10 and my son Thailee is 11. They haven't been left alone. Thailee has special needs so honestly I don't trust him to be alone. I only homeschool Destinay and there have been times I have been tempted to leave her alone if I was going to the store up the street from my house (which is 5 minutes away walking distance). Unfortunately my anxiety got the better of me and I think this will be the time something bad happens so I don't do it. I go downstairs to get Thailee off the bus so I leave her upstairs so I am making progress. I just get too nervous.
TxMommyOfBoys
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:05 PM
My 10 year old just started staying alone for short periods of time.
jak3739
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:29 PM

I think my kids can handle it...but they won't let me leave them even for 5 minutes!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)