Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Needed: Writing Curriculum Ideas

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:55 PM
  • 5 Replies
Need recommendations on writing curriculum that focuses on writing sentences and paragraphs for a 2nd. & 3rd grader. Writing is frustrating/hard for them. Also dealing with ADHD and speech/language disorders. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated:)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Hi tmcris. :)  

You might try finding a short book that they can read and possibly like and have them read it then do a short book report on it.  You could even try an audio book instead. Then ask some questions then have thm do abook report. Have some vocab words from the book of choice with definitions then maybe you could have them draw a picture or two that they would like to draw about the book.  Then tell them that if the drawing and or the book report is done well enough, you will frame it and take a picture of it and send it to your relatives to show off their hard work.  

oredeb
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:34 AM

hi tmcris!

what i did with mine at that young age was have them start keeping a journal, there own book, at first i would write a sentence they could copy, after a while i helped them write the sentence and later they started thinking on their own and writing their own sentence(s)

i also started giving them a topic to write on when they couldnt think of what to write!

as they got older i had them draw a picture and write a few sentences about the picture, and eventually they had their own little books we put together, that really encouraged them!(well some of them!)

Silverkitty
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:22 AM

If you'd like a video teacher.  Essentials in Writing is said to be pretty good.  I'm going to use it next year for my 7th grader.  It's not too expensive and you could possibly put them together and see how it works.

lucsch
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Spectrum has some workbooks that are a good introduction.

2nd/3rd graders don't really need to write much. Focus on reading skills more. For writing, honing their handwriting skills and exposing them to great writing is more important. Have them copy sentences and short paragraphs from their readings. It sounds easy, but copying accurately can be a challenge for young ones. Most of all, keep reading great literature, books that are too advanced for them to read to themselves, to them. Have them "tell back" the story to you to help them to learn to organize information in their brains. Having these prewriting skills will make writing come naturally.

This strategy worked for my dd, who is now a 4th grader and writing well for her age.

romacox
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)