Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Hello

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:08 PM
  • 12 Replies
I am a grandma getting ready to homeschool my 5 year old grandson. Actually we have already been homeschooling but next year he will officially be in kindergarten. I am looking for the latest on curriculum seeing I haven't done this since mine were all school age. We used....abeka, Bob Jones, handwriting without tears, Math U See, Saxon....etc. I am currently looking for a simple reading book and math program. Any suggestions?
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi. Welcome.  :)  

I don't use  a pre written or bought curriculum. I write my own.  Or I will use bits and pieces from what I find from the store, library, internet.  Then I put it together the way I want it presented.  

Have you thought about doing your own curriculum?  

oredeb
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:43 AM

welcome kids! thats great your getting back into it!! and your grand child!! fantastic! how long ago did you homeschool your kids?

all about reading for the learning to read, if i had a child to teach reading again i'd use this program, ive heard nothing but raves about it, nothing negative and ive looked! (i used ruth beechicks a home start in reading for all my kids)

and saxon or rod and staff for math! ive used this when my kids were younger

kids1964
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:58 PM
I have done some of that. I guess you could say I have used a blend.

Quoting kirbymom:

I don't use  a pre written or bought curriculum. I write my own.  Or I will use bits and pieces from what I find from the store, library, internet.  Then I put it together the way I want it presented.  

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kids1964
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks for the school advice! I home schooled my five for twenty something years. My oldest is now 30 and my youngest 21. I absolutely loved home schooling but it is much different when you have only one and are near 50! My husband and I are raising out grandson and I thought about Christian school but I still have a homeschool heart!
romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Welcome, and I am glad you still have a home school hart.  Your grandson is blessed.

I like curriculum that is created by home educators, because they understand that home school is not the classroom.  Math U See for math.... Ring Around The Phonics for phonics, reading and other  language arts subjects.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:17 PM

We enjoy www.readingeggs.com

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:46 PM

That's awesome. Then truly, you are not a newbie. :)   You should do just fine. Plus, there is so much more out there to utilize than there was even 10 years ago.  It's so heart warming, as roma has stated, that you still have a homeschooling heart. Your grandson will most assuredly reap the benefits and rewards from your decision. :)   I know that I am looking forward to seeing your future posts of ideas and such.  :)  

Quoting kids1964:

I have done some of that. I guess you could say I have used a blend.

Quoting kirbymom:

oredeb
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:03 PM

so glad you've decided to hs your grandson, as you know its well worth it!! and nearing 50 is nothing!!!! you can do it!

and there is so much more stuff now than 20 or so years ago

!!!hahahahahaha

Quoting kids1964:

Thanks for the school advice! I home schooled my five for twenty something years. My oldest is now 30 and my youngest 21. I absolutely loved home schooling but it is much different when you have only one and are near 50! My husband and I are raising out grandson and I thought about Christian school but I still have a homeschool heart!

kids1964
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:29 AM
You guys are so sweet! I love home schoolin moms! We all speak the same language. And I'm glad you think 50 is no big deal...I already have a bucket list started!
I often wonder how I schooled five at the same time because one youngster feels challenging sometimes. I am in southeastern Ohio....anybody live near me?
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:32 PM
Welcome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)