Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

story telling and creative writing

Posted by   + Show Post
Currently my oldest is in private school but only for this year. Next year he will be back homeschooling again. He hates, hates, hates writing....reading....pretty much everything except science experiments and art projects lol. Anyway, he can't put a simple story on paper to save his life. I try to have him tell me the story in words (with the goal of having him hear it out loud then write it) but even that is hard for him. For example, for homework he had to write a story on how to build a snowman using atleast 4 sentences. It turned out like this: I will get some coal. I will get a hat. I will get a carrot. I will roll a ball. He's almost 8 and in 2nd grade. Is this normal? Any ideas to help with this?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Replies (11-14):
rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:51 PM
I LOVE this idea! Thank you for sharing! Do you have a homeschooling blog by chance?

Quoting KickButtMama:

Story Boarding if basically a visual representation of a story, idea, concept, etc. it originated w/ the movie business. When planning filming/story lines, the writer & director make 1 picture to represent each scene. So, with homeschooling. While reading a book, before doing a book report lets say, my son will read a chapter then draw a picture of what happened durin this chapter. When he goes to plot a story, or write a book report, he puts his ideas into a series of pictures - like an anima version of his story. Basically 1 picture for each paragraph. That way, his words are just descriptions of each picture in order. Then we just tidy up the concepts with editing. My son saw it as making his own cartoon everytime he had a creative writing project.

http://digitalstorytelling.coe.uh.edu/storyboarding.html 

http://www.ibiblio.org/ism/articles/huffcorzine.html

Quoting paris2lmp:

what is "story boarding" I've never heard that term before? 

Quoting KickButtMama:

My eldest was exactly the same...then we started story boarding. Suddly e became obsessed with writing. Also, his handwriting and grammar improved when I allowed him to begin learning computer programming. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Yup, in my siggy, kickbutt's crazy lapbooks

Quoting rsrangel:

I LOVE this idea! Thank you for sharing! Do you have a homeschooling blog by chance?

Quoting KickButtMama:

Story Boarding if basically a visual representation of a story, idea, concept, etc. it originated w/ the movie business. When planning filming/story lines, the writer & director make 1 picture to represent each scene. So, with homeschooling. While reading a book, before doing a book report lets say, my son will read a chapter then draw a picture of what happened durin this chapter. When he goes to plot a story, or write a book report, he puts his ideas into a series of pictures - like an anima version of his story. Basically 1 picture for each paragraph. That way, his words are just descriptions of each picture in order. Then we just tidy up the concepts with editing. My son saw it as making his own cartoon everytime he had a creative writing project.

http://digitalstorytelling.coe.uh.edu/storyboarding.html 

http://www.ibiblio.org/ism/articles/huffcorzine.html

Quoting paris2lmp:

what is "story boarding" I've never heard that term before? 

Quoting KickButtMama:

My eldest was exactly the same...then we started story boarding. Suddly e became obsessed with writing. Also, his handwriting and grammar improved when I allowed him to begin learning computer programming. 

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

jen2150
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Very normal. My son was the same way until he hit 5th grade. Suddenly a light just came on. He is working on a blog now. I jusr started using a program called write shop. My boys love it.
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I'm trying out story starters and story jumper with my 8 year old and 14 year old. So far so good.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)