Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

High school or higher level novel on Westward Expansion

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:19 PM
  • 4 Replies

We're behind in our US History studies, but we're still more or less on track in Lit, so I'm going to add a novel study to pass some time while we catch up in History.

Our next couple of chapters leading up to the Civil War will cover the period of Westward Expansion, starting with Lewis and Clark.

Anyone have any good novel suggestions? Everything I find is chapter books/middle school level.

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I have a book on Lewis and Clark called ....

Lewis & Clark -The Journey West.  It's by Albert & Jane Salisbury.

You could have your kids do a map report and keep track with tacs on every place they stopped at and whom they came into contact with, along the way. This way, they get a visual of where Lewis & Clark went and all the people and things they discovered.  

- just a thought 

oredeb
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:11 PM
oredeb
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:18 PM

also this was a good book, it keeps coming to mind, but read it first before the kids! 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:21 PM

My brother read a book called Blood Meridian.  He said it was fairly sickening, but he couldn't put it down.  He said it was about a 14 year old kid that gets mixed up in the trading of Indian scalps and that it is based on true stories in the Mex-American area of the 1850's.  I would read it first or get other reviews of it, I haven't had the chance to read it yet myself, but it's on my to read list.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN