Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you think homeschoolers should get a tax credit or tax break?

Posted by   + Show Post

We do pay school taxes that most of us don't use.

Then again, good schools make for good property prices.

I would like to be able to maybe get a tax credit for supplies. Even if it was just limited to actual *school* supplies and curriculum.

I see the pros and cons to but sides of the debate. Where do you stand?

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Replies (11-20):
lucsch
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:39 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't want a tax break as then I'd probably have to prove I was teachiing x, y, z to get it.

I have always been against property taxes. If you own something, you shouldn't have to pay to be able to keep it. In other words, property taxes mean you never really own anything...the government can take it away.

Lynette
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:42 PM

No.  The government never gives without asking for things in return.  If something like that was granted I could see regulation, stricter laws etc going with it.  No thanks

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:14 PM
2 moms liked this

Eh. Sure, I'd love a tax break. We pay a ridiculous amount considering we have no children in public school.

With that said, we are a very low reg state for homeschooling. I wouldn't want any "break" that came with new regs. I enjoy having complete control of my children's education.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

noraa21
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:24 PM

When my DS was in PS we got a tax credit because he had an IEP, now that we homeschool we don't get squat, I would love to get the extra money the schools were getting for my son having special needs!

paris2lmp
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:32 PM

this is how I feel too.

Quoting JuicyRedTomato:

I think we should get some type of compensation. I feel as though at least a portion of the money we are paying out in taxes should be redirected towards our own children's education.

SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:33 PM
I was told by my tax guy here in OR that we get 500$ back per child homeschooled.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:36 PM

In theory, yes.... but in practice, what Lynette (quoted) said. I would fear the repurcussions. 

Quoting Lynette: No.  The government never gives without asking for things in return.  If something like that was granted I could see regulation, stricter laws etc going with it.  No thanks. 

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

annieheart
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I home school using k 12.I don't think that I should be entitled a tax break.We get so much extra all ready.I don't know about those who have to log everything and send it all to the state and draw up their own lesson plans.K 12 is so demanding and takes up plenty of our time.Its sad that schools are so unsafe and there is such a lack of morals with many parents.When I was young,I never heard a parent say the f word to a teacher.Its not right to be taxed for unsafe and poor learning environments.No matter if I have kids that attend them or not.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Those of us who do not use a public virtual, however, get nothing extra. I spend around $1,000 a year to educate my children at home, on top of the taxes we pay towards the public school.

Given, I'm not one who WANTS a tax break... and the inevitable oversight and new regs that would come with it, but it would be nice to be though of. Lol.

Quoting annieheart:

I home school using k 12.I don't think that I should be entitled a tax break.We get so much extra all ready.I don't know about those who have to log everything and send it all to the state and draw up their own lesson plans.K 12 is so demanding and takes up plenty of our time.Its sad that schools are so unsafe and there is such a lack of morals with many parents.When I was young,I never heard a parent say the f word to a teacher.Its not right to be taxed for unsafe and poor learning environments.No matter if I have kids that attend them or not.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

ambermario4ever
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Yes I think homeschoolers should get a tax credit since they are paying for all the supplies themselves.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)