Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you think homeschoolers should get a tax credit or tax break?

Posted by   + Show Post

We do pay school taxes that most of us don't use.

Then again, good schools make for good property prices.

I would like to be able to maybe get a tax credit for supplies. Even if it was just limited to actual *school* supplies and curriculum.

I see the pros and cons to but sides of the debate. Where do you stand?

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Replies (21-30):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:51 PM

I think we should pay school tax.   Many of us have used public school either for ourselvs, for our kids before we switched, etc...   or... we have that option to send them to public school if something unforseeable were to happen.

However, having at least a break on sales tax for our school supplies would be nice...   Maybe we should have a tax exempt number for being a not for profit educational facility.

cjsmom1
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:11 PM

I'd love to be able to claim everything I bought. I'm using k12 and spent over $200 getting a room set-up for home schooling (desk, chairs, another bookcase, binders, folders, bine, and tons of art supplies.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:20 AM

I thought there was an education deduction thing that you could add your homeschooling stuff to and get money back from.  I could be wrong though.

homeschoolx3
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:42 AM

If they can make sure greedy public schools can get tax dollars, then why cant we?

DieselsMom
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:44 AM

People with NO kids have to pay, so why shouldn't you? deal with it and move on. it is available to you, wether you use it or not is your choice....just like the fire department, etc!

sheila5745
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:04 AM

I think we should get a break at least on some of the supplies. Teachers get a little back for supplies.. Schools get so much money for each child that goes to that school, so why shouldn't we get a little something. A lot of parents said they needed a second income and they have to really stretch the budget to be able to home school.. Yep we should... great question..

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:23 AM

yes, the beausty of tax credits is that you can take them or leave them.  I received a tax credit for putting in a new AC why not for providing quality education for my children. 

haskins46563
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:31 AM

In Indiana I think we will get a $1,000 deduction per child. That will net me about $50 for each kid based on our tax rate. :). Since we own our own business and get hammered on state taxes every single freaking year, I'll take what I can get. I swear some years I've paid more to state taxes than federal.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Here are my feelings.  We put money in to a broken system.  Why?  Because we have to or we get in trouble.  It isn't ideal, but that's what it's turned into.  That being said.

In a perfect world everyone would be equal and those homeschooling would get back what those teaching would for supplies, and would get back what the schools get, since our children don't put the extra strain on the school systems.  In reality.  People like to cheat the system, they like to get back things that they don't deserve.  So it would end up that the government, which is already broken with it's tax laws and credits, which is already in debt and ready to crack, they will instate more rules and regulations on homeschool families, make them test, keep all receipts, and probably tell them what they can and cannot use for curriculum.  If you are religious and teach it, forget about it.  The government has gone so far to the left that even the thought of supporting a religious curriculum would send them calling for MORE regulations.

I don't believe we should get a tax credit,   We chose to homeschool even if it meant less money in our pockets and we knew that going in to homeschooling.  We chose to homeschool because we want the best for our children. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN