Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you think homeschoolers should get a tax credit or tax break?

Posted by   + Show Post

We do pay school taxes that most of us don't use.

Then again, good schools make for good property prices.

I would like to be able to maybe get a tax credit for supplies. Even if it was just limited to actual *school* supplies and curriculum.

I see the pros and cons to but sides of the debate. Where do you stand?

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Replies (31-40):
oredeb
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:45 AM

hi smtc, really! did he say how? or what you have to do ? ive never got any back cuz i homeschool here

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

I was told by my tax guy here in OR that we get 500$ back per child homeschooled.

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I don't want to pay into the public school system if my child isn't using it. I would love to have that money to buy my kids curriculum and supplies. 

SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:39 AM
Didn't say how, but I didn't ask cause my oldest starts kindergarten next year so it didn't qualify for me this year. Call H&R block to see if they can tell you what documents you need over the phone. Good luck! Maybe post on here what they say?

Quoting oredeb:

hi smtc, really! did he say how? or what you have to do ? ive never got any back cuz i homeschool here

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

I was told by my tax guy here in OR that we get 500$ back per child homeschooled.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
awilliams77
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I would like to be able to claim deductions on educational expenses, but would not like more regulation by the government. We have paid out of pocket for 15 years now, and paid taxes into the school system. Feels kind of like being double billed, ya know? People that are not familiar with homeschooling are always shocked that we do not get a specific tax break. 

Online charter school is different, as it is provided with ps funds. Or, at least it is here in SC.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:20 PM
I think we should get a tax break on anything they require. We have to travel to take standardized tests, the cost of the proctoring and travel expenses should be deducted from your taxes imo. Other than those things that they require, I would say no, because you just know theynwould attach strings to that money!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bether89
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:01 PM

I think we should get a tax break for school supplies.

Brandy85412
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:02 PM

I like the idea of a tax credit.

Christine0813
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:50 AM

No, I don't. That means more government control. Don't want it and sure the heck don't need it.

Bethsunshine
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:58 AM

In theory, I'd say yes, but considering the strings that would be attached to it since it's coming from the government, I'd say no. This could lead to things such as the government telling us what kind of curriculum to use, etc. When you accept the Queen's shilling, you abide by  the Queen's rules. It's just not worth it to me. We already live in a state that has some of the strictest homeschooling laws in the entire country; we don't need more on top of it.

Believe  me, just yesterday I was thinking about this as I was ordering our new science curriculum. We can't afford the one I really want, so I feel as if we have to settle for something I don't really like because it's the cheapest. Don't get me wrong, it's a good curriculum,just not the one I would choose if I had unlimited funds.

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

Does your child have a learning disorder? Come join us!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/118063/

MammaG08
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Yes, I strongly believe that we should get tax credits for school supplies.  I would even love to see vouchers, where we would get some of our tax money back from the government for not sending our kids to public schools.  The only problem is, there would probably be people who would stop sending their kids to public school and "say" they are homeschooling just to get the money.  So, then I wonder if the government would want to stick their noses in our business even more. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)