Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you think homeschoolers should get a tax credit or tax break?

Posted by   + Show Post

We do pay school taxes that most of us don't use.

Then again, good schools make for good property prices.

I would like to be able to maybe get a tax credit for supplies. Even if it was just limited to actual *school* supplies and curriculum.

I see the pros and cons to but sides of the debate. Where do you stand?

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Replies (41-50):
MammaG08
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting usmom3:

I know our government & you can bet your A@@ they would have all kinds of stipulations & requirements to get that money & then you would be restricted in where & how the money was used (think Cafeteria plane AKA Benny cards here). Even if you are in the camp of "testing & reporting is good because it keeps you honest" it wouldn't stop there it would get more & more restricting to the point where it would just be easier to put kids in PS (which is what the government wants any ways so that they can control the information learned by the masses)

Not that I have an opinion or have put a lot of thought in to this or anything LOL.

I believe you are right....isn't it funny how the government would want to put more "regulations" on us just so we could get some of OUR tax money back?!

MammaG08
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Quoting sheila5745:

I think we should get a break at least on some of the supplies. Teachers get a little back for supplies.. Schools get so much money for each child that goes to that school, so why shouldn't we get a little something. A lot of parents said they needed a second income and they have to really stretch the budget to be able to home school.. Yep we should... great question..

MammaG08
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Teachers get $250 a year tax break automatically.  And if they have the receipts to show they spent more, they get that too.  I'd like that too. 

jak3739
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:51 AM

I think we should at least be able to get the tax credit on federal taxes that public school teachers do.  We are buying supplies out of our own money for our classrooms.  Problem is we don't have a union.

jak3739
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:54 AM

That's a state by state deal.  Oregon offers "public" homeschools so they also offer funding to homeschoolers.  Pennsylvania does the same thing.  I live in New Jersey, adn have nothing like that, bu thave friends in those states so I know they get public funding for their homeschool.

Quoting oredeb:

hi smtc, really! did he say how? or what you have to do ? ive never got any back cuz i homeschool here

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

I was told by my tax guy here in OR that we get 500$ back per child homeschooled.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Do you know how to get the money in Pennsylvania? I've never heard about it.

Quoting jak3739:

That's a state by state deal.  Oregon offers "public" homeschools so they also offer funding to homeschoolers.  Pennsylvania does the same thing.  I live in New Jersey, adn have nothing like that, bu thave friends in those states so I know they get public funding for their homeschool.

Quoting oredeb:

hi smtc, really! did he say how? or what you have to do ? ive never got any back cuz i homeschool here

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

I was told by my tax guy here in OR that we get 500$ back per child homeschooled.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jak3739
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:57 AM

You may have to belong to one of their "umbrella" or cyber schools, but I know my friends who homeschool in PA get all their books free and a stipend for each child.  Beyond that, I really don't know.  but, it is worth checking into.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting jak3739:

Quoting oredeb:

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Oh, we are already through a charter and hate it. You may get the books free and a stipend for internet, but it is not worth the hoops we jump through.
Thanks for the reply though! I was hoping there was a way to still get some help with these books I'm buying for next year! :-)

Quoting jak3739:

You may have to belong to one of their "umbrella" or cyber schools, but I know my friends who homeschool in PA get all their books free and a stipend for each child.  Beyond that, I really don't know.  but, it is worth checking into.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting jak3739:

Quoting oredeb:

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jak3739
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I know that one friend does Connections Academy and really has great things to say about it.  I would still look into if there is anything for homeschoolers in your state, since some groups are getting stipends.  There may be a way to claim it yourself.  I don't know, but I would still investigate.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Oh, we are already through a charter and hate it. You may get the books free and a stipend for internet, but it is not worth the hoops we jump through.
Thanks for the reply though! I was hoping there was a way to still get some help with these books I'm buying for next year! :-)

Quoting jak3739:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting jak3739:

Quoting oredeb:

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

oredeb
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:48 AM

thanks jak, i guess a requirment would be to have to follow the homeschool law? and by public homeschool do you mean the programs like k12 online programs like that?

Quoting jak3739:

Quoting oredeb:

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN