Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think homeschoolers should get a tax credit or tax break?

Posted by   + Show Post

We do pay school taxes that most of us don't use.

Then again, good schools make for good property prices.

I would like to be able to maybe get a tax credit for supplies. Even if it was just limited to actual *school* supplies and curriculum.

I see the pros and cons to but sides of the debate. Where do you stand?

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Replies (51-60):
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Quoting MammaG08:

Quoting usmom3:

I know our government & you can bet your A@@ they would have all kinds of stipulations & requirements to get that money & then you would be restricted in where & how the money was used (think Cafeteria plane AKA Benny cards here). Even if you are in the camp of "testing & reporting is good because it keeps you honest" it wouldn't stop there it would get more & more restricting to the point where it would just be easier to put kids in PS (which is what the government wants any ways so that they can control the information learned by the masses)

Not that I have an opinion or have put a lot of thought in to this or anything LOL.

I believe you are right....isn't it funny how the government would want to put more "regulations" on us just so we could get some of OUR tax money back?!

I personally believethat we should never have to pay income tax, it is like being punished for trying to provide for yourself & your family. If taxes where a voluntary thing it would force the government to truly do what the people want because as soon as they stopped listening to us they would stop getting taxes!

sheila5745
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:30 PM

It's not cheap to home school. I could show where I spent more than that. I am a receipt freak or is that geek!! I keep them all for awhile..That wouls certainly help me. How about the rest of you??sidesplittinglaughter

Quoting MammaG08:

Teachers get $250 a year tax break automatically.  And if they have the receipts to show they spent more, they get that too.  I'd like that too. 

terpmama
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:37 PM
I would think that they would/should be able to use the teacher credit.
sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Quoting annieheart:

I home school using k 12.I don't think that I should be entitled a tax break.We get so much extra all ready.I don't know about those who have to log everything and send it all to the state and draw up their own lesson plans.K 12 is so demanding and takes up plenty of our time.Its sad that schools are so unsafe and there is such a lack of morals with many parents.When I was young,I never heard a parent say the f word to a teacher.Its not right to be taxed for unsafe and poor learning environments.No matter if I have kids that attend them or not.

So you pay for K12? If not, then your children are technically public school students and you are utilizing a taxpayer funded school.

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Quoting cjsmom1:

I'd love to be able to claim everything I bought. I'm using k12 and spent over $200 getting a room set-up for home schooling (desk, chairs, another bookcase, binders, folders, bine, and tons of art supplies.

So are you paying for K12? If you are not, then you aren't legally homeschooling. Your chidlren are enrolled in a public school program that is paid for with public funds.

paknari
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:30 PM
I don't know because honestly parents hav to buy the majority o school supplies for their children. It would have to be limited to curriculum material and teaching supplies not including regular school supplies (pens,paper, etc)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Quoting debramommyof4:

I thought there was an education deduction thing that you could add your homeschooling stuff to and get money back from.  I could be wrong though.

No not at the federal level. The educators deductions are very clear that the person must be employed as a teacher, teacher's aid or school administrator.

At the state level there are about 5 states that allow tax deductions for homeschooling materials.

MammaG08
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Quoting sheila5745:

It's not cheap to home school. I could show where I spent more than that. I am a receipt freak or is that geek!! I keep them all for awhile..That wouls certainly help me. How about the rest of you??sidesplittinglaughter

Quoting MammaG08:

Teachers get $250 a year tax break automatically.  And if they have the receipts to show they spent more, they get that too.  I'd like that too. 

I keep all my homeschooling receipts in one folder.   Since this is my first year, I plan to show them to the tax man and ask him if I can deduct anything. 

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MammaG08:

Quoting sheila5745:

Quoting MammaG08:

I keep all my homeschooling receipts in one folder.   Since this is my first year, I plan to show them to the tax man and ask him if I can deduct anything. 

At the federal level there are no deductions for homeschooling. Four states, Illinois, Minnesota, Louisiana and  Indiana allow deductions on state income taxes.

sheila5745
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Let us know what he says will you please?

Quoting MammaG08:

Quoting sheila5745:

Quoting MammaG08:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)