Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you think homeschoolers should get a tax credit or tax break?

Posted by   + Show Post

We do pay school taxes that most of us don't use.

Then again, good schools make for good property prices.

I would like to be able to maybe get a tax credit for supplies. Even if it was just limited to actual *school* supplies and curriculum.

I see the pros and cons to but sides of the debate. Where do you stand?

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Replies (61-70):
BraydensMama163
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Pfft. I wish.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MammaG08
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:30 PM

OK

Quoting sheila5745:

Let us know what he says will you please?

Quoting MammaG08:

Quoting sheila5745:

It's not cheap to home school. I could show where I spent more than that. I am a receipt freak or is that geek!! I keep them all for awhile..That wouls certainly help me. How about the rest of you??sidesplittinglaughter

Quoting MammaG08:

Teachers get $250 a year tax break automatically.  And if they have the receipts to show they spent more, they get that too.  I'd like that too. 

I keep all my homeschooling receipts in one folder.   Since this is my first year, I plan to show them to the tax man and ask him if I can deduct anything. 

scoutwifemomof4
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:11 PM

A part of me says yes we should get a tax break, I spend over $3000 a year on curriculum, classes & supplies for my children.  Public & Private school teachers get a tax break for supplies they have to purchase out of pocket.  Secondly, I pay taxes for schools I do not use, I support their fund raisers, why shouldn't I get a break?

However, the minute you let the government pay for ANY PART of your childrens education you are opening a door for them to get involved.  There are some states I hear that offer reimbursement for curriculum & supplies for homeschoolers, but I'm not sure I'd ever be able to take advantage of that.  We left the public school system because they were failing our children.  GOOD RIDDANCE!

annieheart
by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 10:50 AM
To some degree,the kids don't have a teacher teaching them from 8:30 am to 3 pm.They do not get free lunches and breakfast like the other children do.We do not use their building that cost electric and gas bills.They do not have to pay for aids and school police or guards.There is no librarian,gym,music, or art teachers to pay.They are not offered summer school if needed.
CatFishMom
by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 11:24 AM
I think whatever teachers can claim, so should we be able to because we ARE teachers.
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 11:48 AM

I think that since ps teachers get an above the line write off of $250 per school year for supplies paid for out of pocket, that should suffice for us, too.  I have a letter of intent that proves I'm doing this (since Gov always needs proof, and rightfully so), but it's really a nothing benefit.  It reduces your gross income, but not by much.

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Aug. 13, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Me too

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

We use a Charter school - so I get mine back :)

gummibear
by Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 4:33 PM
My high school son is in K12 and we got a check back from them at the end of the summer for last years internet
Quoting annieheart:

I home school using k 12.I don't think that I should be entitled a tax break.We get so much extra all ready.I don't know about those who have to log everything and send it all to the state and draw up their own lesson plans.K 12 is so demanding and takes up plenty of our time.Its sad that schools are so unsafe and there is such a lack of morals with many parents.When I was young,I never heard a parent say the f word to a teacher.Its not right to be taxed for unsafe and poor learning environments.No matter if I have kids that attend them or not.

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Then your son is a public school student enrolled in a K12 charter school instead of being a homeschooler enrolled in the private online school.

Quoting gummibear:

My high school son is in K12 and we got a check back from them at the end of the summer for last years internet
Quoting annieheart:

I home school using k 12.I don't think that I should be entitled a tax break.We get so much extra all ready.I don't know about those who have to log everything and send it all to the state and draw up their own lesson plans.K 12 is so demanding and takes up plenty of our time.Its sad that schools are so unsafe and there is such a lack of morals with many parents.When I was young,I never heard a parent say the f word to a teacher.Its not right to be taxed for unsafe and poor learning environments.No matter if I have kids that attend them or not.

almondpigeon
by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 12:20 PM

i think we should get a break on our supplies/curriculum.  in my head, i feel like a school is almost the same as a business.  yes, we choose not to take advantage of the public school system, but it would be nice to be able to write off some of the expense.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN