Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Cooking

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:10 PM
  • 19 Replies

How many of you let your kids in the kitchen to do some cooking? What kinds of things do they like to cook? And have you ever required your older kids to prepare an entire meal for your family?

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:12 PM
1 mom liked this

hi swim!!

i let my kids in the kitchen to cook and clean!hahahaha

they plan menus and take turns cooking, boy and girls, its sure helped them when they started their own families, they still call me when they need some help

when they were younger we always made bread together( i have a very large recipe for bread) we would mix it all up and then dump it on our huge table and knead it together, they loved it! they always talk about it!

and by the time they graduate they have a cookbook ready to take with them when they move out!

jsbuck
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:23 PM
1 mom liked this

My son loves to help me cook.  He even gets the camera out and makes his own cooking show videos LOL.  We make dinners, bake cakes, pies, cookies, etc.  He just learned how to make me coffee and hot tea this week. 

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:25 PM

When ever they ask to help I always try to make sure there is something they can help with. My younger 2 love to bake cookies especially when Dad is the one they are making them with. When I am sick & don't feel well my oldest (who has Autism) will make simple meals that I have made sure he knows how to make (on the up side I know that if I die they won't starve but they might get tired of eating the same meals all the time).

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:35 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter loves to be in the kitchen. She is six so she is kind of limited.

My boys are 14 and are less enthusiastic than my daughter to be in the kitchen. We are starting something new next week though. Three nights per week one ofthe kids are gonna help me with dinner. They will take turns. After a few months the boys will each be responsible for cooking two meals per month. That would mean that once per week I won't have to cook. :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lucsch
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this

My dd10 can make a grilled cheese sandwich by herself. She can make any cold sandwich and reheat foods. She makes most of her meals other than supper, which I cook.

paris2lmp
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:51 PM

I let my kids help depending on what I'm making.  My oldest son came to me a couple weeks back and asked me to teach him to make chocolate chip cookies so that he can make them by himself.  I am really excited about this and now that I have the supplies we will probably start this weekend and do a couple batches a week till he gets the hang of it :0)

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:58 PM
My mom decided to teach my 4 year old how to make eggs because she asks for them everyday. Crack them, put them in the pan, season them, actually cook them herself....the whole nine yards. I about fell over from amazement, and fear (that she would burn herself), when she showed me. As long as she's closely supervised she can do it all!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:10 PM

My kids cook about once per week...usually easy stuff - hotdogs & hamburgers, Mac & cheese, chicken nuggets, pizza. 

coala
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:44 PM

I haven't yet, but I think that I need to start letting them help.  I am wary b/c I don't want to be in the kitchen any longer than I have to be.  I don't care to cook myself, but I hope that if I start early enough with my girls they may actually take a liking to it.

BramblePatch
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:45 PM
My kids are 4 and 5. They mix waffle batter, roll cookies into balls, stir eggs to scramble, decorate cookies or cakes, put ingredients on their own pizzas, etc. They obviously don't touch the stove and such.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN