Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How many of you let your kids in the kitchen to do some cooking? What kinds of things do they like to cook? And have you ever required your older kids to prepare an entire meal for your family?

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:10 PM
Replies (11-19):
ColtsFan1912
by Bekah on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:36 PM

My kids love to help me. They are too young to do it all by themselves but they love to help out.

they love the pasta maker I got for Christmas :)

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:53 AM

Oooo, nice. We have the pasta maker part for my kitchen aid but I've never used it....

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

My kids love to help me. They are too young to do it all by themselves but they love to help out.

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:15 AM

I have all of them help in the kitchen they cook their own breakfast the preschoolers help all the time. However, the preschoolers make their own oatmeal grits the 5 minutes foods. I think next we are going to work on eggs. The preschoolers help set the table count how many plates bowls spoons that goes on the table how many chairs go to the table that it the only way I can get my preschoolers to interact in school counting adding what shape in the plate what shape in the chairs. However the oldest children it is called Foods classes learning how to cook sat the table what fork to use what spoon to use.

swim-mom72
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Quoting oredeb:

hi swim!!

i let my kids in the kitchen to cook and clean!hahahaha

they plan menus and take turns cooking, boy and girls, its sure helped them when they started their own families, they still call me when they need some help

when they were younger we always made bread together( i have a very large recipe for bread) we would mix it all up and then dump it on our huge table and knead it together, they loved it! they always talk about it!

That sounds like a GREAT memory for you and your kids! We have made bread together too and it is fun.

swim-mom72
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Quoting starbeck96:

My daughter loves to be in the kitchen. She is six so she is kind of limited.

My boys are 14 and are less enthusiastic than my daughter to be in the kitchen. We are starting something new next week though. Three nights per week one ofthe kids are gonna help me with dinner. They will take turns. After a few months the boys will each be responsible for cooking two meals per month. That would mean that once per week I won't have to cook. :-)

This is exactly what I was wanting to start doing!

awilliams77
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh yes! As soon as they were old enough to stand on a stool and stir, I had them making juice, helping measure and pour ingredients into the mixer, crack the eggs, etc. 

Not every time something was being cooked, but frequently. Sometimes I just needed to get things done quickly.

Now,some of them cook better than I do! At 13, my son can bake cookies, cake, bread, make a pot pie or soup from scratch, scramble eggs and such.  I work second shift, so my kids make dinner quite often. Starting around age 10, we assigned them a night to make dinner with help. Menu planning and all.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:33 PM
My boys are 4, 5 & 7. They love to help cook! They do use the stove and oven with close supervision. My 4yo loves to use the blender, he makes smoothies. My 5yo makes toast and preps for me to make eggy in the basket. And my 7yo does just about everything!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
swim-mom72
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I love hearing all of these cooking stories! My youngest, 12 year old son, he will do just fine on his own when it comes to cooking. He makes a beautiful fried egg, can make his own biscuits (from scratch) and is very comfortable in the kitchen. But my oldest, 15 year old son, he is lazy when it comes to cooking. He will have to live on cereal and sanwiches unless I start forcing him to be in the kitchen with me more often.

I think if I made it a "school" requirment he would be more inclined to get it done. He is helpful in many, many ways, just not in the kitchen.

oredeb
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:44 PM

great picture!!!!!

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)