Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Welcome to Homeschooling Moms! Please introduce yourself..... Get started here!

Hi,

Thank you for joining the Homeschooling Moms group!

Whether you're a brand new member or have been on the site for years, you are always welcome at Homeschooling Moms!:)

You'll find moms chatting by posting and replying on the group. Please make yourself at home and join in!

• To add a New Post to a group, click on the "Add a Post" button at the top of the group.
  • To add a Reply to a post, click on the "Reply to Post' button at the top of the post you're replying to.
  • If you're responding to someone's reply, click on the "Quote" button at the bottom of the reply that you're commenting on and then add your reply.
  • Once you start posting and replying on the Groups, you can follow up on your conversations using the links under the 'My Activity' tab at the top of every page.

Please introduce yourself in the replies below and then say hello to some of the other moms who've introduced themselves recently. You can 'Quote' their replies so they know you're talking to them and you can 'Like' their replies, as well. Feel free to send out some friend invitations by clicking on the 'friend Invite' link at the bottom of their reply.

If you have any questions, please let me know. I'm always happy to help!

have a nice dayMichelle

Here are some helpful links:

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Replies (211-220):
Mrs.D_2012
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi there!

My name is Rachel and I have a 3 year old daughter named Leila. I'm debating on whether I will home school her or not and wanted some advice from mom's who home school now or have in the past. I went to public school and it didnt work out well for me I'm just having a problem figuring out what would be best for my daughter. I have a very open mind, I just want whats best for her. We live in Florida, anyone have any ideas on how or where to start researching?

Thanks!

-Rach

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Welcome Rachel,

Start with the laws in your state, then learn her learning style, knowing this is going to help you pick the method & materials you will want to use. You might want to deschool yourself so you can be free of any hang ups you have left over from public school (trust me they are there I left PS 20 years ago & still struggle with the school mind).

Quoting Mrs.D_2012:

Hi there!

My name is Rachel and I have a 3 year old daughter named Leila. I'm debating on whether I will home school her or not and wanted some advice from mom's who home school now or have in the past. I went to public school and it didnt work out well for me I'm just having a problem figuring out what would be best for my daughter. I have a very open mind, I just want whats best for her. We live in Florida, anyone have any ideas on how or where to start researching?

Thanks!

-Rach

DG123
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi!  I am a mother of 3, homeschooling my oldest child.  I came across this site looking for homeschooling resources.  I'm looking forward to getting to know you all. 

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome, this is a great group to get suport & advise from.

Quoting DG123:

Hi!  I am a mother of 3, homeschooling my oldest child.  I came across this site looking for homeschooling resources.  I'm looking forward to getting to know you all. 

ProudAFWifeNMom
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:08 PM
2 moms liked this

Hi everyone!

My name is Diana. I'm 28 years old, retired active duty, wife and Stay at home. I have 2 boys, Colton, 4 and Devin, 3.

My husband and I decided that we would like to try homeschooling this year for a few reasons.  Because we live in a very small town and there just aren't a lot of options for school or the two that we would consider have exorbitant prices that we can't afford with one income. Also, because my son's birthday is 7 days, yes 7 days past the Idaho deadline he would have to wait until the next school year to start school. We tried to fight it but there is no compromise. If he isn't 5 by Sept. 1st, he can't attend school. Our last reason is we just aren't happy with whats offered in terms of general education, the large class sizes, and how teachers are made to teach the test instead of encouraging free thinking and learning. We want more for our kids and who better to offer that then us!

Anyway since we decided in February to begin this journey, I've read books and done crazy amounts research online. Trying to find active support groups or at least other parents in my area to talk to but its been difficult. So I thought I'd reach out here. Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you. :)

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Welcome Diana, So glade you found our group to join.

Quoting ProudAFWifeNMom:

Hi everyone!

My name is Diana. I'm 28 years old, retired active duty, wife and Stay at home. I have 2 boys, Colton, 4 and Devin, 3.

My husband and I decided that we would like to try homeschooling this year for a few reasons.  Because we live in a very small town and there just aren't a lot of options for school or the two that we would consider have exorbitant prices that we can't afford with one income. Also, because my son's birthday is 7 days, yes 7 days past the Idaho deadline he would have to wait until the next school year to start school. We tried to fight it but there is no compromise. If he isn't 5 by Sept. 1st, he can't attend school. Our last reason is we just aren't happy with whats offered in terms of general education, the large class sizes, and how teachers are made to teach the test instead of encouraging free thinking and learning. We want more for our kids and who better to offer that then us!

Anyway since we decided in February to begin this journey, I've read books and done crazy amounts research online. Trying to find active support groups or at least other parents in my area to talk to but its been difficult. So I thought I'd reach out here. Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you. :)

NicoliShiring
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Hi my name is Nicoli.

I am launching a product to encourage our kids to tidy up. Please help me out by fillinf out this survey <3

http://bumanagement.qualtrics.com//SE/?SID=SV_ddkzensq9m9CBrn

Thanks a bunch,

NS

katiejack
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Hello!

My name is Shannon.  I live in Nor  Cal and have two children, Katie, 8 and Jackson, 10.  I am 95% sure I will be doing a homeschool/charter school for my children next year.  I am truly stressing over what curriculum to choose!  I would like Christian curriculum, but we are not big readers so nothing that is too heavy on reading.  My kids will be in 3rd and 5th grades next year.  They are currently in  public school and are doing very well.  I am trying to decide between Singapore and Math U See for them.  I hope to do grade appropriate math and Lit. for them separate of course, but want to do History and Science together.  Any advice would be great!  And I am also looking for good tests to see what their learning style is.

Thank you!

Shannon

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 24, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Welcome Nicoli & Shannon.

ParaGravida
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this
My name is Kate. My littles are 10, 8, 4, and 8 months old. This is my second year of homeschooling and my first semester completely free of public school restraints. We started with the K12 public option and just grew increasingly frustrated with the system. At the moment we are trying a sort of eclectic approach in an effort to find what program/method is most suitable to each of our children.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)