Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Welcome to Homeschooling Moms! Please introduce yourself..... Get started here!

Hi,

Thank you for joining the Homeschooling Moms group!

Whether you're a brand new member or have been on the site for years, you are always welcome at Homeschooling Moms!:)

You'll find moms chatting by posting and replying on the group. Please make yourself at home and join in!

• To add a New Post to a group, click on the "Add a Post" button at the top of the group.
  • To add a Reply to a post, click on the "Reply to Post' button at the top of the post you're replying to.
  • If you're responding to someone's reply, click on the "Quote" button at the bottom of the reply that you're commenting on and then add your reply.
  • Once you start posting and replying on the Groups, you can follow up on your conversations using the links under the 'My Activity' tab at the top of every page.

Please introduce yourself in the replies below and then say hello to some of the other moms who've introduced themselves recently. You can 'Quote' their replies so they know you're talking to them and you can 'Like' their replies, as well. Feel free to send out some friend invitations by clicking on the 'friend Invite' link at the bottom of their reply.

If you have any questions, please let me know. I'm always happy to help!

have a nice dayMichelle

Here are some helpful links:

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Replies (571-580):
shannzuno
by New Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 2:43 AM
Hello lovely ladies. My name is Shannon. Currently my two little ones are 2.5 years and 3 months. Both their father and I have talked about homeschooling. Its hard when almost everyone we know puts it down(besides my mom). Im totally for it SO swings back and forth.
PurpleCupcake
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 6:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Lol...sorry for the typos! I hate my auto correct sometimes!

I don't know why but I run into the same problem. My kids always get teachers that either don't have kids at all...or they had kids 20 years ago. 

They always send home stupid notes. My youngest is still in ps and I get notes like, "he doesn't know how to tie his shoes, he needs practice". 

So...

1. It's some kind of rule my 2nd grader should be able to tie his shoes

2. I'm too stupid to know that he doesn't know how to tie shoes

3. I'm such a dumb parent that I don't know he needs practice. 

His dang teacher is under 25, has no kids, and this is her first class. But she's an "expert".

The teachers who had kids 20 years ago can be worse though. If a kid gets in trouble....they want to know they will be punished for it...

I've had to say, "You do know that negative reinforcement is ineffective right? Especially for my special needs child."

Absolutely Frustrating! 

Quoting anony111:

Thats our whole problem. Our principle thinks she has a behavior problem LOL. Oh and did i mention the principle has never had kids of her own, so cant possibly understand, no matter HOW many years shes been teaching!

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Aspergers children have a hard time in school mainly do to put luv school ignorance. I seriously doubt that teachers have any clue what it is or how to deal with it.

Quoting anony111:

Hello, my name is Sara, we are in northern california.  On the brink of pulling my 10 year old sixth grade aspie daughter out of school to homeschool.  Just trying to talk DH into it! The past few years of dealing with a school that doesnt believe in Aspergers as a legit diagnosis and ignoring her IEP has sealed the deal for me! Looking forward to all the advice and hints from fellow CMers. Glad i found you!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Well, she will definitely thrive in homeschooling. You can go at her pace.
Do you know what your doing yet?

Quoting anony111:

My daughter is the one that requested it! She doesnt think she will be able to handle the added stress of extra homework and changing classrooms for every subject.  Being rushed is one of her triggers, along with having poor orginazational skills.

Quoting kirbymom:Hi. Welcome! :)
Well, you have come to the right place. We love to support our members and friends. How does your daughter feel about hs?

Quoting anony111:

Hello, my name is Sara, we are in northern california.  On the brink of pulling my 10 year old sixth grade aspie daughter out of school to homeschool.  Just trying to talk DH into it! The past few years of dealing with a school that doesnt believe in Aspergers as a legit diagnosis and ignoring her IEP has sealed the deal for me! Looking forward to all the advice and hints from fellow CMers. Glad i found you!

undefined

haleyw
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Hi!

My name is Haley. I have 2 children, one of which is in 1st grade, and the other will be starting Pre-K next year. This is my first year homeschooling, so I feel like I'm scatterbrained most of the time. =)

thesilentbattle
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Hi, I have four kids ages 6, 5, almost 4, and almost 2. The older two go to public school right now, but I'm homeschooling my almost 4 year old because he was too young to enroll in preschool but so smart and eager to learn. He's kind of a test subject to see how well I do being a homeschooling parent, because if all goes well, I plan on starting homeschooling my daughter next year when she starts 1st grade. The oldest is my stepson, and I'd love to homeschool him too since my husband has primary custody, but his bio mom hates me and is refusing to allow me to homeschool him. 

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 22, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Welcome Haley,

We all start out a little frazzled in the beginning. You will get more confident as time goes by.

Quoting haleyw:

Hi!

My name is Haley. I have 2 children, one of which is in 1st grade, and the other will be starting Pre-K next year. This is my first year homeschooling, so I feel like I'm scatterbrained most of the time. =)

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 22, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Welcome to the group. We have a few Moms that have children they are homeschooling & have some in public or privet school too!

Quoting thesilentbattle:

Hi, I have four kids ages 6, 5, almost 4, and almost 2. The older two go to public school right now, but I'm homeschooling my almost 4 year old because he was too young to enroll in preschool but so smart and eager to learn. He's kind of a test subject to see how well I do being a homeschooling parent, because if all goes well, I plan on starting homeschooling my daughter next year when she starts 1st grade. The oldest is my stepson, and I'd love to homeschool him too since my husband has primary custody, but his bio mom hates me and is refusing to allow me to homeschool him. 

anony111
by New Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Well, plans always change, but right now im  thinking more of unschooling with some online classes, mostly for math and to round things out. We will see!

Quoting kirbymom:

Well, she will definitely thrive in homeschooling. You can go at her pace.

Quoting anony111:

My daughter is the one that requested it! She doesnt think she will be able to handle the added stress of extra homework and changing classrooms for every subject.  Being rushed is one of her triggers, along with having poor orginazational skills.

Well, you have come to the right place. We love to support our members and friends. How does your daughter feel about hs?

Quoting anony111:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Good for you! You are already on your way to being a great homeschooling parent. Learning the art of Flexibility. :) One of the major reasons homeschooling works so well.

Quoting anony111:

Well, plans always change, but right now im  thinking more of unschooling with some online classes, mostly for math and to round things out. We will see!

Quoting kirbymom:Well, she will definitely thrive in homeschooling. You can go at her pace.

Quoting anony111:

Quoting anony111:

summerbear
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Hello! I am new to homeschooling, not new to CM! I have 4 children. I started homeschooling my oldest, Summer (12) October 2nd, so 3 weeks ago today! She is in the 7th grade.

My second daughter Lydia, is 3 (will be 4 Feb 22nd). She has been doing preschool work in her workbooks and learning activities on the computer and in printouts and such.

I have 2 boys. Tristen is 2 and Phoenis is 5 months old.

I knew that my 3 little ones were going to be homeschooled and I wanted to homeschool my oldest, but I was 19 hen I had her and I was getting so many comments on how she needed to go to school and that I would mess her up if I didn't let her go to public school. I even had my mom tell me she would report me if I didn't send her! So, I didn't research anything, I was scared and nervous!

Everyone in my faminly is on-board now, and if they aren't they are at least smart enough to keep their mouths shut by now! Research and knowledge is a powerful tool! :)

I am so excited to be starting! Looking forward to getting a lot of questions answered and meeting some wonderful homeschooling moms! <3

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)