Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what teaching book or whatever do you recommend?

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:17 PM
  • 10 Replies

to teach a child to read?

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Right now my 3 year old uses Starfall for basic phonics; next year for kindergarten I plan to use Catholic Heritage Curriculum's "Little Stories for Little Folks" phonics program.

Some others that are popular:

Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Lesson

Ordinary Parent's Guide to Reading

Memoria Press Classical Phonics

MCP Phonics

Saxon Phonics

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:30 PM
BOB books are helpful.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JuicyRedTomato
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I used Hooked on Phonics and Bob Books.

My ds really enjoyed the combo.

Quoting mem82:

BOB books are helpful.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:40 PM
I used a 99c store phonics book, leapfrog letter factory, word factory, and BOB books.

Once we had a grasp, I added in All About Spelling.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I never used a phonics book or program.  All the letters and sounds were learned in a child lead fashion.  I had plenty of letter tiles and materials available, when the child was interested in learning them we pursued that.  Whe the child wanted to be read to, I read to them.  We did have bob books available.  My kids are now 11 & 9 and both read above grade level.    

romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Ring Around The Phonics is learning disguised as a game, and my kids love it..  It also teaches several language arts subjects (K through 6th grade)

Mweddle
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Thanks!  :D I am looking into some different ideas.  She is still in public school but having a lot of difficulty.  I am planning on homeschooling next year all year. 

oredeb
by debbie on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:41 PM
1 mom liked this

ruth beechicks 'a homestart in reading'

all about reading

swim-mom72
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this

When I first started out, someone let me borrow their copy of "100 Top Picks for Homeschoolers" by Cathy Duffy and said it was a MUST read. After I skimmed through it I realized I needed my own copy! It was so helpful to me in trying to sort out what kind of learning style I have and what kind of learners each of my kids are, and then choosing curriculum based on that info.

You can find this at your library.

bether89
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:05 PM

I am interested in this as well.  Ds just turned 4 and I am concerned about teaching him to read. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)