Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How many hours/day?

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:59 PM
  • 22 Replies
If you have elementary aged children, how many hours/day do you spend on school? (Unschoolers need not reply :)).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Unfortunately it takes nearly 5hrs for my kindergartener and 7or8 for my 2nd grader. I'm hoping it takes less time next year when we make our own curriculum.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
swim-mom72
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Some homeschoolers I know say each child should do close to an hour for every year of school. So, in first grade, they do one hour, second grade they will do about 2 hours, etc, etc..and this continues until highschool, at which point they should work at their own, faster pace.

MybabyKisses
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:57 PM
I have a kinder and 1st grader and we do 1 1/2 - 2 hrs 4 days a week.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JuicyRedTomato
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I have a kinder (5) and a 3 year old.

DS1's school ranges from 2-4 hours a day, depending on what we are doing and how motivated he is. Today we did a lesson on safety signs and symbols. We made our own signs using paper, crayons, glitter, and Popsicle sticks. We also learned a little "safety song". The whole lesson lasted about 3 hours. We still need to do math and writing but whatever we don't get done at school time gets pushed back as "homework". (It's just review or practice sheets).

DS2 is wayyyy below that. Maybe 30-45 minutes a day total. He's in the beginning stages of learning colors, numbers, etc. Very relaxed.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:23 PM
4 hrs on average...DD is so out of it today @@ 3 hrs staring at history... blah...science, All About Spelling and math MUST still happen!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:27 PM

When my daughter was in elementry school it progressivly got longer, about an hour in pre-k to 1st, 2 to 3 hours in 2nd to 3rd, 3 to 4 hours 4th and 5th.  This year 4 to 6 hours depending how slow she is..  7th will be 3 days of almost 6 hours and 2 days of 4 hours.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:54 PM
2 moms liked this

We are technically child-led learners in that the kids choose topics and learning styles. But we do a minimum of 2 hours every day, 7 days/week. Even if its watching documentaries and discussing what we learned from them. (Today we learned about Carribean pirates)

arctophile
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:56 PM

My Pk gets done in about an hour.  My 1st and 2nd grades each take about 3 hrs.

oredeb
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:35 PM

hi hipmom!

from 9-1 every day so thats 4 hours for 5 kids

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:18 PM
Interesting. Thanks for the replies.

My kids are K, 1st, and 4th. Its hard some days to juggle all 3, especially when there are other things to do during the day. Like today we started at 9:00. At 10:20 we had to stop because DD has piano at 11:00 (they take awhile to find shoes, go potty, etc). Got back at 11:45 and worked til 12:30, then I made lunch. Back to it at 1:30-2:15, then both DDs had girl scouts at 2:45. So I guess it was slightly under 3 hrs. We didn't complete everything I wanted to, though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)