Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Are you ording for next year, already?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have started thinking about it because Missie will need an Algebra text next year. I'm think of a Teaching Textbook. Has anyone used it?

Are you even thinking about next year, yet?

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:55 AM
Replies (21-30):
101stwife
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Wow....I just have to say how weird this is. I have book #3 from Joy Hakim's A History of US and really like it so I was looking around to get the whole set. I had no idea that there were workbooks that went along with them...I was considering just making up my own questions and tests lol. Wow!! Where did you find the workbooks? I was looking at getting the set from Christianbooks.com

Quoting AutymsMommy:

We weren't fans of All American History either. Dry as chalk. Have you checked out Joy Hakim's "The History of US" series (you can also buy workbooks to accompany each book). My dd's enjoying it.

Quoting 101stwife:

I am not ordering just yet but I am looking around at things I might want to use. We got Learning Language Arts through Literature this year as well as All American History and HATED both. So, shopping around for a new Language Arts and History curric.

tennisgal
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:41 AM

we are going to the teach them diligently conference so i am making my list of the books i wanna get my hands on. i need to see things before i just order them. it's very exciting...i'm such a nerd. 

tennisgal
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:43 AM

we were recommended LLATL b/c FIAR didn't work out. I havent gotten my hands on a copy yet. Can you discuss what you did/didnt like. btw i have boys if that makes a difference. 

Quoting 101stwife:

I am not ordering just yet but I am looking around at things I might want to use. We got Learning Language Arts through Literature this year as well as All American History and HATED both. So, shopping around for a new Language Arts and History curric.

101stwife
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:41 AM

I have two boys in 6th grade. I was using the 5th grade purple book. It just didn't make sense to me at all....too much busy work in my opinion. The boys hated it, I hated teaching it. I just hate a curriculum that doesn't make sense...adds stuff that doesn't need to be there. I absolutely HATE busy work. Another thing that I hated is that it was supposed to include all areas as for reading, writing, spelling...all of that. I really feel that it lacked in the spelling area to the point it taught nothing.

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:19 AM
I've been making plans for a while but won't be purchasing for a couple of months. Science is my biggest hold up for having a final plan. Too many that I really like, plus she really loves science, but I'm reluctant to do a full program in K.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leighp1
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:12 AM

I don't even know where to begin.  Mine will be a middle schooler and I have no clue as to where or what we need to work on.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:32 AM
I am trying to decide if I can make my own, if I should stick to what I currently usong or try another. I need to see them in hand, and that is impossible, unfortunately :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:49 AM

For middle school start with your basic subjects: math, language arts (composition, language arts, grammar), literature, history/geography, and science. Then you add in your "extras": art, music, foreign language, etc. The extras are up to you.

Are you lost on curriculum providers? What's your budget and faith preference (secular, protestant, catholic)?

Quoting leighp1:

I don't even know where to begin.  Mine will be a middle schooler and I have no clue as to where or what we need to work on.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Amazon!

For some reason I'm having a difficult time linking today, lol. Go on Amazon and type in the search bar "a history of us student guide". There is a student guide for each book, as well as teacher assessment books (also, you can find the whole set of books for a good price here).

Quoting 101stwife:

Wow....I just have to say how weird this is. I have book #3 from Joy Hakim's A History of US and really like it so I was looking around to get the whole set. I had no idea that there were workbooks that went along with them...I was considering just making up my own questions and tests lol. Wow!! Where did you find the workbooks? I was looking at getting the set from Christianbooks.com

Quoting AutymsMommy:

We weren't fans of All American History either. Dry as chalk. Have you checked out Joy Hakim's "The History of US" series (you can also buy workbooks to accompany each book). My dd's enjoying it.

Quoting 101stwife:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

leighp1
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Right now our budget is extremely limited because hours have been cut.  Hoping that will change soon.  I typically don't use a standard curriculum.  I find things on the internet and work with that.  It has worked very well so far with 5th grade, her math is up at Algebra level and her reading is improving, though she was never behind.

I wish there was a better guideline to go by what they should know by this age.  I have gone to some of the websites that show the core standards, but they just really don't help me. I know that most of what I am teaching she already knows and it is just repetition, but I feel there could be more.

Sometimes I feel more lost than others and maybe today is one of those days.  Plus looking into the next year just scares me knowing that she will be middle school (she is my baby).

Quoting AutymsMommy:

For middle school start with your basic subjects: math, language arts (composition, language arts, grammar), literature, history/geography, and science. Then you add in your "extras": art, music, foreign language, etc. The extras are up to you.

Are you lost on curriculum providers? What's your budget and faith preference (secular, protestant, catholic)?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)