Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I DID IT!!! I figured out how to do an ebook!

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:49 PM
  • 7 Replies
1 mom liked this

Well after three long days, I finally figured out how to do the ebook.  I added photos and some of my daughter's writings and now it is a mobi file!!  I already gave it to her and she is so excited.  At some point we will upload it to Amazon probably.  I think she should add a few more stories or poems, but for now it's done!!  I am so excited and so glad she liked it.  She almost cried and she posted it to facebook letting all her friends know. 

Thanks to everyone for helping me.

Leigh

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Congrats!! What a wonderful idea!

kittyfaery
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:53 PM
That is wonderful. That will be a gift she will always remember and treasure.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

yea!!! so how did you do it??? never heard of a mobi file??

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:48 AM

That's incredible and super fantastic!  What a gift you have given to your daughter.  

So what did you do? How did you do it?  :) 

undefined

leighp1
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I ended up using all free programs.  OpenOffice was what I used to write the book and then I saved it as an HTML file, then used a program called Calibre to convert the HTML file into a mobi file (mobi files are used for Kindles)  You can also save it in other formats as well.  After three days of playing around with all these other programs, I finally got it to work. 

She loved the present and wants to write more so she can add to it.  So hers won't be published any time soon.

Quoting kirbymom:

That's incredible and super fantastic!  What a gift you have given to your daughter.  

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:47 PM

I use OpenOffice in our school work.  :)  And I have a mobi reader on my smart phone just so I can read some books that won't download any other way.  lol  Maybe you could post an example of some of your handiwork just so we could see how it should look?? :)  

Quoting leighp1:

I ended up using all free programs.  OpenOffice was what I used to write the book and then I saved it as an HTML file, then used a program called Calibre to convert the HTML file into a mobi file (mobi files are used for Kindles)  You can also save it in other formats as well.  After three days of playing around with all these other programs, I finally got it to work. 

She loved the present and wants to write more so she can add to it.  So hers won't be published any time soon.

Quoting kirbymom:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Congrats!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)