Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Not sure whether to officially homeschool

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:26 PM
  • 6 Replies

I have 4 kids altogether...13, 10, 5, 4. My daughter is in kindergarten at our local public school.  She is very advanced (doing 1st grade work at home).  I recently had her tested to see if she should move up to 1st grade, but even though she is well above her classmates, she didn't "qualify" to move up.  I'm not sure I wanted to move her up, anyway, but I definitely want something more challenging for her than what is offered.

I work with her at home already because she is just in 1/2 day kindergarten.  At home she is reading, doing 1st grade math, doing simple book reports on what she reads...and then she goes to school and "learns" letter sounds.  The school tells me that she is learning valuable things like how to get along with other kids, stand in lines, work as a team with other kids.  I agree in a sense, but I just see how much potential is being wasted.

My hesitancy is the fact that 2 years ago, I brought by 2 older boys home to do an online school and that was so difficult that they ended up going back to school.  I know an online school is different than homeschooling, but I'm still hesitant.  I have the school telling me that she's fine where she's at, but my heart is telling me that they aren't meeting her needs.  I like the staff at the school and the teachers are nice, I'm just not sure if it's the right place for my daughter.

Did anyone else struggle with this?  I could use some sound advice.  Thank you.

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:55 PM

How does your daughter feel about it? Is she bored, does she enjoy school, does she want *more*?

The teachers are right on one hand - she is learning other valuable skills and I agree with them that she probably shouldn't be moved up (there is a huge leap in maturity and other cognitive skills between kinder and first grade), but if you feel she isn't getting what she needs, and she isn't happy, I would encourage you to discuss this with your husband and follow your heart.

You may want to wait until the end of the school year so you can take the summer to "deschool" without losing any time, should you decide to pull her out.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:35 AM

I would go with my gut on this. She might be learning other things now but what about later on when she is board out of her mind with the work they are giving her & she is possibly getting picked on by the other kids for knowing everything (this could make her stop wanting to learn so that she is more like the other kids). Just my thoughts on it! 

paris2lmp
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Does she seem bored with going to school? If she is unhappy, bored or not getting along, then I would definitely homeschool.  I decided to homeschool for different reasons, but I have a close friend who went through something similar to what you are describing.  Her daughter was just sofar ahead by the time she was in kindergarten that se was bored out of her mind.  She wanted to learn MORE, but the public school system didn't have advanced programs for such young learners.  She was shy too, so she didn't make friends particularly easily. In the end homeschooling was the best thing that ever happened in their famiy and now my friend homeschools all 3 of her kids!  Also, she can learn those social skills outside of school, I would involve her in a homeschool group, classes (dance, music, etc) or other scenarioswhere she will need to build those social relationships.  I would ask her though how she feels about school. 

When we were still debating wether or not to homeschool, I would just casually ask my kids (when they were seperated) little questions like "So how are you liking school?" "Did you learn much today?" "How would you feel if we did school at home?" etc.  That gave me a lot of insight on how they were feeling about public school and wether or not they would be open to homeschooling. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Well, the first piece of advice to you is this...Go With Your Gut Instinct!  This is a good way to know what is right for your family and for what you should do or be doing.  

undefined

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 4:50 PM
My kids learn how to stand in line by grocery shopping or going to the bank. It's hardly a 'skill.' :)

Not a fan of grade skipping myself. Known 2 kids who did it in early elementary & they are now very awkward & immature h.s. freshmen. It catches up to them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:53 AM

oh momof, you know what to do! do it!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN