Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

dyslexia?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:46 PM
  • 6 Replies
I've been working with my 4 year DS on pre school aged worksheets.I've noticed when he writes numbers or letters, whether tracing them or freehand, he writes them backwards or traces them backwards. Is this possibly something to worry about? An example would be when he traces his name, he starts with the end of the last letter.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Absolutely completely normal.

That in itself (writing letters backwards/transposing letters in spelling etc) is actually pretty normal until second or third grade - which is why most professionals are hesitant to even diagnose dyslexia until then.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

wunderwifey
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this

If dyslexia runs in your family I'd be more worried about it. My mom, brother and I all have it to varying degrees. They wouldn't diagnose my brother as early as they did, except for the fact that my mother had it. Then I came along with similiar problems.

oredeb
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:25 AM

i agree with what autsy and wunder said!!

all my kids did that when they were that age! as they got older and continued to practise they wrote them the right way!

momoftwobugs
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:44 AM

I have one child who at 4 and 5 did that and now in 2nd grade no longer does it. Then I have another child who is very consistent in doing it and it is not getting any better. He would normally be too young for me to even consider testing for it but his father has dyslexia so we are pursuing testing to see where that leads us. There are many other things that are part of dyslexia other than just writing things backwards. There are many other markers that are often more telling than just the backwards letters. Just keep working with him and things should get better.

crzy4crm
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Depends. It is very common in small children and especially those who are left handed. I have an 8 yr old that has never out grown it though. He is dyslexic. We noticed that by kindergarten (public school) that he wan't crasping letters and sounds. They wanted to tutor tutor tutor. I knew something more was wrong and we pulled him out to teach him at home. I just today found a site about inverted reading. I hope it works for us. 

Just keep an eye on it and correct him when he does it wrong.  ;)

coala
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I have a friend who has a 1st grader in PS....he still writes some of his letter backwards.  She said that even both of her older children did it until about 2nd grade.  The teachers aren't usually to concerned unless it continues past 2nd grade.  So, with a HS child I probably wouldn't worry about it so much unless other markers are present or it doesn't seem to improve.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN