Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

On-line dyslexia testing and therapy

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:35 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hi All,

my son is 11 years old and is still not reading on his own, he tries but gets very frustrated. 

He was diagnosed with high functioning autism (asperger's syndrome) when he was 7.5 years old. 

We have tried so many phonics programs that are out there and so many other reading programs and nothing has worked in the 8.5 years we have been homeschooling.  He cannot retain sight words and cannot retain phonics sounds. 

I am looking into having him tested for dyslexia, but that is proving to be very trying.  We did a consultation at a local doctor and everything has to be paid out of pocket for this particular doctor and the other 2 companies I have checked into.

I am leaning more toward the 2 online companies as we won't have to worry about travel time and all the gas and wear and tear on the vehicle we have (we are down to one).  Our biggest issue is the fact that we only have 1 income and since our son is receiving SSI for his disabilities we are unable to save money for services like this to pay up front.

Not sure that I am allowed to put the names of the online companies on this site, so I just wanted to ask has anyone unsed any online dyslexia testing company and if so, was it a good deal.

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
LongBeachLiz
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:37 PM
I was told (by my doctor) that testing goes through the school district. Since we are tax payers we are still entitled to the services.
Have you checked with the school?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SagaMom
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Thank you for your comment.

Yes, I have tried through the school and they keep telling me that there is no testing for dyslexia or dyspraxia and others. 

When my son was 4.5 I had him tested through the school first for learning disabilities and they said he was fine.  I knew better.  Had them test him again at about 5.5 to 6 years old and again they said he was fine, no learning issues.  Finally got him into a neurologist at 7.5 years (took a change of pediatrician to a regular doctor to get the referral) and they did a battery of tests, way more than the school system and found that he was on the spectrum and because the school system had failded to see this in the years prior, that had put him at a higher risk of not striving in accademics (he was very far behind at this point). :(  So here we are at 11 years and not much further along in reading/writing.

oredeb
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:30 AM

would this be one your are looking at? http://www.jwor.com/orton.htm, i hear its very good

or this one  http://www.bartonreading.com/

and you can put whatever company you'd like on here!!!

SagaMom
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I am actually looking at Lexercise and/or Dynaread.  I am just trying to do my 'homework' before deciding on one.  I will check out the one you posted as well.  Thanks

Quoting oredeb:

would this be one your are looking at? http://www.jwor.com/orton.htm, i hear its very good

or this one  http://www.bartonreading.com/

and you can put whatever company you'd like on here!!!

BarkersBest
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:06 PM
I would like to offer you some advice because I was diagnose with dyslexia in college I know I never could read in Grade School or High School. My parents read to me. In college I finally got some help. Tutoring classes were offered and finally a program was developed . I still had problems but guess what the computer helped me. I learned quicker when I could see the words I was reading and at the same time have someone read to me because seeing and hearing at the time clicked for me. I don't know if there is a test but I can tell you something that might work for you and teachers that have to teach children with learning disabilities. If your son attends school or a special school I might be able to give you some information that might help but I would like for you to personally E-mail me at barkingforbarker@Gmail.com. I hope I can help.

Lisa Kane WV
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)