Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Seriously Considering Homeschooling...

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:08 AM
  • 7 Replies

Hello ladies!

This year has been a very rough year for my son (10/4th grade). He has always loved school. He has complained of the loud/chaotic nature in the past but this year it has become unbearable. His teacher went on maternity leave. We were promised ONE teacher for the duration of her 3 month leave. This of course did not happen. We were on our 3 substitute teacher, the children were loud and distrubtive. Half of the children in his class are special ed. His school does inclusion where the children are mixed in. Maybe this would be ok if you had an actual teacher (I think too IMHO) to help keep them on track if they have behavioral problems. Anyway, I wrote the school principal to have him moved. No one responded to me in a timely manner so I withdrew my son and entered him into a private school. My only issue is that the private school is so strict.

I have begun my preliminary research in homeschooling. I love the idea of a customized, creative, fun program, one-on-one help. I have a few questions:

1. When did you decide to homeschool and why?

2. Do you have a box curriculum, design your own or a combination?

3. Did you and your kids name your school?

4. Do you meet with other homeschoolers in your community?

5. Does anyone live in Delaware??

6. ANY ADVICE???

Thanks in advance!

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting QueenCreole313:

1. When did you decide to homeschool and why? Many reasons. One, we wanted to integrate our faith (Catholic) into their education. Our daughter is dyslexic and until very recently, none of the Catholic schools had any resources for dyslexics. Our daughter DID attend Catholic school until fourth grade, when she decided she wanted to try public school, which we allowed. It was a disaster. Her teacher was AMAZING, but her class was filled with unruly children who were neglected (or worse) at home - which meant that our dd's mild learning difference didn't get any attention because her teacher was too busy with children who, understandably, needed him more.

2. Do you have a box curriculum, design your own or a combination? I use textbooks, worktexts, and other books from homeschool suppliers, but I do not use their lesson plans. We use an eclectic mix of resources but we are traditional scholastic homeschoolers (i.e. we have a schedule, sit down work, and primarily use textbooks as our spines, adding in other supplements). I make our lesson plans.

3. Did you and your kids name your school? No. We aren't required to here.

4. Do you meet with other homeschoolers in your community? Yes. We belong to two Catholic homeschool co-ops.

5. Does anyone live in Delaware?? Not I. Lol.

6. ANY ADVICE??? Relax. Have fun. Do not try to emulate a "school at home". It doesn't work and it can defeat the purpose.

Thanks in advance!

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome, I'm Shannon. I HS my 2 boys who are 11 & 8. We've always HS'ed, but I make our curriculum. We named our school - not for a specific reason, but just because we wanted to - CMHS (Celtic Moon Home School). I am the director of our local HS cooperative. We love it. Once a week for 12 weeks we do college style school - in fact the building we use for coop is a part of Weselyan University, the boys love that they have been able to make close friendships, and I love connecting with other HSers and having alternate teachers for the classes that aren't my strong suit. 

You can read more about our HS at my blog - http://kickbuttcrazylapbooks.blogspot.com/2012/04/defining-our-homeschool.html?m=1

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

BramblePatch
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this
1) I began researching the day I went to sign up DS up for pre-k at the public school. I just knew I could not do it, going from station to station like a line of cattle.

2) I do use a boxed curriculum as a base from which to jump. I add, take away, and tweak. ALOT.

3) We did. We don't have to in our state, though.

4) No. It's a small community with no group or co-op. I know there are other homeschoolers, but I am content to do this on our own with out pettiness and infighting and competition.

5) Nope. Idaho here.

6) Don't stress too much about your first curriculum. You can drive yourself nuts. Realize that you will yot pick one, boxed or stand-alone subjects, that you will follow all the way through. You will not find one that is perfect. The term "open and go" is a joke....some are close, but you will make changes and need to plan. It is a lot of trial and error.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sepedaboyz
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

1. When did you decide to homeschool and why?

That's a complicated answer. I'll try and shorten it. When DS2 was born, DS1 was in Preschool and I was working fulltime. I ended up quitting work when DS2 was 6 months old because I just could stomach paying for private preschool AND daycare. The following summer I went to enroll DS1 in K at public school and I could not do it. The school was HUGE and I could not understand how they manage all those kids that are so different. The school had 8 K classes that had 28 kids in each! There was a teacher and teacher assistant in each room. With that many kids in each class, I just don't understand how they do it. I swear though, that summer I went back and forth a million times about what to do. Ultimately, we decided to hold him back a year. He has an Aug birhtday so technically he didn't have to go untill the following year. I started looking at things for us to do at home because he had a strong foundation to build on already and I wanted to countinue. One thing led to another and before I knew it, I was homeschooling him! When it came time to enroll him the following year, I just decided to keep him home again. There was no point sending him to K when we had just finished K! lol And now we are in 3rd grade and I haven't looked back.

2. Do you have a box curriculum, design your own or a combination?

A little of both. My phonics program (which has been the hardest for me so far) is a complete currilum. Comes with scripted lesson plans, everything I need for each lesson and the kids workbooks. My Math, from a different company, is the same way. I just purchased the 'kit' so that I have everything. Again, the lessons are scripted for each day. I prefer for these two subjects, the work is taken out of it for me. I have proven to myself that I can not use a curriculum that requires me to do prep work.

History, Science, Geography, I've played around with a little. I think it's okay to skip around and be flexible in this area so I've bought less extensive programs.

3. Did you and your kids name your school? No

4. Do you meet with other homeschoolers in your community?

yes! We have a co-op that meets on Tuesdays. Currently my 3rd grader takes 4 classes and my K'er takes 3. They love it! This is our 3rd year and we have made great friends there. I like a co-op for two reasons. One it gives me a day that I have a 'break' and can hang out with other moms. And two, gives my kids a chance to work in a 'real' class room with other students and teachers.

5. Does anyone live in Delaware?? No, Sorry. We are in Ga.

6. ANY ADVICE??? I would tell you if this is what your gut is telling you to do, then do it! You can always go back if it doesn't work out. If you can go to a convention where you can get your hands on the actually curriculum and look at it, I highly reccomend that. You can read reviews all you like, but for me, I needed to see it. The two things that were the hardest for me to figure out, what type of teacher am I? and what type of learner is my child? The answers to both of those questions will help you in determining what type of curriculum you want to go with.

Good luck with your decision. There are days that are not easy but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Quoting QueenCreole313:

1. When did you decide to homeschool and why?  My husband and I decided even before we had our children that we were going to homeschool. The reason being .... that neither of us had a great public school education and we were not going to go through that with our own children when we had them.  So we have been homeschooling from the beginning. 

2. Do you have a box curriculum, design your own or a combination?  I usually write my own but every now and then I will use a used book that was given to us or one that we bought at a yard sale or flea market or something similar. 

3. Did you and your kids name your school?  No. I haven't really needed to name our school. 

4. Do you meet with other homeschoolers in your community?  I have not met with any other homeschoolers. We have always been on our own. Not that we haven't tried to find any. 

5. Does anyone live in Delaware??   Pa here.

6. ANY ADVICE???   Best advice is to know that this is one of the most precious gifts, this time with our kids and this oppportunity to help educate them and give them the tools to be the best they can be when they become adults.Teach them to have a love and thirst and curiousity of learning, that will take them through the rest of their life. To enjoy each other.  To know that not every moment is going to be make or break, that there is always some learning happening in any situation even if it wasn't quite the answer that you were looking for at that time.  :)  To take each moment and love and live it to best of your abiliities. To know that you will/may make some mistakes and that that is okay because without mistakes, we would never know that what we are doing is right or best. Or that another approach could be the way to go. 

Just love each other and be all that you can be.  

:)

undefined

stargazerwolf
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:50 PM

I not that long ago made a post like this and got some amazing feedback! The ladies in this forum are awesome! Currently I still really want to homeschool and made a whole lesson plan which I had to do for paperwork anyway, I'm testing out my teaching abilities by making a preschool lesson plan and seeing how well I can teach her so I can decide if i should homeschool. I also pretty much have to prove to my boyfriend that I can do it and we are still deciding if I should still work part time too.

My reasons for wanting to homeschool are mostly because I think I can teach her in a more fun way directed at how she learns and what she is interested in. I also feel I can learn a lot from this and sort of reteach myself some of it. I think she can learn faster and easier with one on one.

I already created a lesson plan because I don't want to purchase anything just for kindergarten, though I do have a Hooked on Phonics program my mom got me a couple years ago that she found for a few bucks at Goodwill. I plan to use it a bit because phonics is in my opinion the most difficult for my daughter to understand. I think I will be able to come up with games and all sorts of things to do to teach and that a boxed curriculum isn't for us.

For my state we do need to come up with a name but it really doesn't matter what it is, I can use my last name and just put Home School after it, or whatever, I'm not sure yet what we will name it yet though.

I plan to enroll my daughter in dance classes because she loves dancing and its good for socializing too. I have been looking for homeschooling groups but havent really found much around here. I honestly don't think there are many homeschoolers here because to tell you the truth the schools here are good. Me and my boyfriend are getting a YMCA membership again and the kids will go to their drop in daycare there while we work out as well as we can swim together and such there. In other words even if I don't find other homeschooling moms my kids will still spend time with other kids (my other daughter is only 8.5 months though lol)

I live in Nebraska so can't help you there. :)

Since I'm not yet homeschooling I don't have a lot of advice except that if you still aren't sure start working on some things now and see how well you can teach, how he reacts to you becoming his teacher, do some research on what your state requires to homeschool (paperwork sent in, subjects that are required to be taught, etc) Also you can search online now to find homeschooling groups in your area and talk to others who do it to get ideas for things too. Hope I helped a little. Good luck with your decision!

QueenCreole313
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Thank you all for your feedback! I truly appreciate your advice and admire your commitment to your children. God bless!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)