Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

homeschooling certification?

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:05 AM
  • 17 Replies

I'm pretty new to homeschooling.  We are actually officially starting this next week :) .  When we were first talking about it and what we wanted to do and I was asking my husbands' opinion, he was all for it and really the only things he cared about was that we did standardized testing to make sure the boys were where they needed to be, and that we (of course) followed the laws.  

I have read the Montana state Laws over and over again and joined a local homeschool group, and talked to the county superintendent of schools, and filed a letter of intent to homeschool, and done research via blogs etc.  According to EVERYTHING I have read we don't need to get a certification or license to homeschool in Montana.  But people (mostly co-workers) keep insisting that he does.   I even offered to pull up the state law and let him read it himself, but he says he believes me, but I just feel like he is still uncertain. 

Is anyone here from Montana?  Did you ever have to get certification to homeschool in this state?  Do other states require you to get certified?

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
energygirl
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:18 AM

I know you don't need one in Indiana....I would think your superintendent would know...but if you are still worried....I would look into joining the HSLD association. (Homeschool legal defense).  They have a very good reputation.....for $100 a year per family membership...they will cover everything from providing a lawyer to all legal costs....and make phone calls send representatives etc. if you are ever "accused" of anything in regards to homeschooling (by a school...a neighbor.......etc. etc.)  They WIN their cases...and the few they have lost they have appealed at the Supreme Court and won.  IN our state the homeschool rule is that one must start school by age 7.....we are already homeschooling now and our oldest is 6...but we are joining when she turns 7.  I want that peace of mind.  We live next to the head of the school board (who says he is all for homeschooling) but who knows what might happen down the line when my kids are outside playing in the early afternoon because the schoolwork is done.  On the HSLD website you could probably read about any court cases in Montana as well to see if they happen much there.  The HSLD would also know and be up to date on Montana laws....hope that helps

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm not aware of ANY state that requires a "certification" to homeschool. There are a couple of states that require a parent to hold a college degree in *something* I believe and a couple states that require a homeschool to use an umbrella school, but no cert. I could be wrong of course.

In my state (SC) a parent need only have a high school diploma. We aren't even required to test.

Many people think you *should* have to have a cert to homeschool, but just because they think something *should be*, doesn't mean it *is*. Lol.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

BramblePatch
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:25 AM
You do not need a certification in Montana (or any other state for that mattee). You can double check with HSLDA, but I know it for fact....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:34 AM
6 moms liked this

One of the first things I learned when we started homescholing is never listen to people that have no clue about homeschooling & its laws. They are only saying what they are saying out of pure ignorance!

Have your husband read the laws then print them out & have him take them to work & help educate his ignorant co-workers that think they know so much about the law! That will ether shut them up or piss them off ether way they will probably leave him alone about it after that.

edelweiss23
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Don't need it in Maine.

I register my homeschooling with the state and my kids get evaluated at the start of each school year.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
paris2lmp
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:46 AM

We did talk a little more about it this morning.  I asked if any of his co-workers, or the people who were insisting we need a certification, had ever homeschooled themselves.  No, not a one of them had homeschooled or even had children! (A few had kids who were grown and moved out of the house.)  I asked him to keep that in mind, since I have asked multiple sources who are experienced or are authorities (such as the county superintendent).  We agreed that he would feel more assured if we did join the HSLDA (right abbreviation?).  So we will do that within the next couple months.  I like the idea of printing off the state law and having him take it to work.....but I don't think he would agree to that.

Quoting usmom3:

One of the first things I learned when we started homescholing is never listen to people that have no clue about homeschooling & its laws. They are only saying what they are saying out of pure ignorance!

Have your husband read the laws then print them out & have him take them to work & help educate his ignorant co-workers that think they know so much about the law! That will ether shut them up or piss them off ether way they will probably leave him alone about it after that.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I have lived both in the east coast and the west coast over the past 10 years and have never been certified to homeschool. As of now, I am in Pa.  but that may change when my husband's job placement changes.  :) 

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Yes you got the abbreviation right. Joining them dose help not be so worried about getting in trouble for something you know is legal & your right to do.

Quoting paris2lmp:

We did talk a little more about it this morning.  I asked if any of his co-workers, or the people who were insisting we need a certification, had ever homeschooled themselves.  No, not a one of them had homeschooled or even had children! (A few had kids who were grown and moved out of the house.)  I asked him to keep that in mind, since I have asked multiple sources who are experienced or are authorities (such as the county superintendent).  We agreed that he would feel more assured if we did join the HSLDA (right abbreviation?).  So we will do that within the next couple months.  I like the idea of printing off the state law and having him take it to work.....but I don't think he would agree to that.

Quoting usmom3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 4:52 PM
I think the free info on HSLDA is pretty accurate for each state.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:50 PM
People who don't know anything about homeschooling will stick their nose in and tell you all kinds of stuff. Know your laws and don't worry about what other non informed people say.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)