Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

homeschooling certification?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm pretty new to homeschooling.  We are actually officially starting this next week :) .  When we were first talking about it and what we wanted to do and I was asking my husbands' opinion, he was all for it and really the only things he cared about was that we did standardized testing to make sure the boys were where they needed to be, and that we (of course) followed the laws.  

I have read the Montana state Laws over and over again and joined a local homeschool group, and talked to the county superintendent of schools, and filed a letter of intent to homeschool, and done research via blogs etc.  According to EVERYTHING I have read we don't need to get a certification or license to homeschool in Montana.  But people (mostly co-workers) keep insisting that he does.   I even offered to pull up the state law and let him read it himself, but he says he believes me, but I just feel like he is still uncertain. 

Is anyone here from Montana?  Did you ever have to get certification to homeschool in this state?  Do other states require you to get certified?

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:05 AM
Replies (11-17):
sweetserenit292
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I live in Montana and the only thing you need to do is file a letter of intent ant that isn't until age 7, meet the hours required per grade and keep an  immunizations record / or exemption letter of vaccines. 

paris2lmp
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:24 PM

awesome....thanks.  Where in Montana are you?  We are in Great Falls.  We joined the local homeschooling group, but I'm always interested in meeting and getting together, or even just chatting with other homeschoolers.  let me know if you are interested!

Quoting sweetserenit292:

I live in Montana and the only thing you need to do is file a letter of intent ant that isn't until age 7, meet the hours required per grade and keep an  immunizations record / or exemption letter of vaccines. 

homeschoolx3
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:50 PM

No state can tell you you have to certify your homschool. 

Latinamom99
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:32 AM

I just start homeschooling my kids and you dont need to have certification in CA.. the only problem that I had was that the school didnt want me to home school at all..

paris2lmp
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:23 AM

I have heard various people say that they had to fight the public school district to homeschool.  Its too bad, because I think it proves that they mostly care more about the funding they will lose instead of the best education for the kids!  I was fortunate that my kids' school was pretty much ok with it.  They were really just sorta concerned that I was pulling the boys out because they had done something wrong.  It had never occurred to me that they would take it personally!  After talking to them though and explaining my reasons, they gave me their blessings and even invited my youngest back for an end of year class party.

I'm sorry you had to argue the point.  Its not their call.

Quoting Latinamom99:

I just start homeschooling my kids and you dont need to have certification in CA.. the only problem that I had was that the school didnt want me to home school at all..

Latinamom99
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:19 AM

The school get $2000 per child that is all why they want the kids in school.. the office called and left me a voice message that 64 students miss frist day of school early Jan.. and that was to much money that they wont get.. for really they worry more about the money... and what are they doing with it .. I dont see any resouces been use to impove the school.. even though am home school now I make put them back if I have to work days.. and single mom, so I have to look for school that fits my kids school abitities.... having three specal aid kids is not easy .. and now that the goverment want to cut that too.. what else is there for the kids and the teacher that need them... where is this money going too if  the school get them.. and the school with bad rating should be closed if they dont impove with in the year..

oredeb
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:31 AM

no certification in oregon

heres the montana hs law

Restrictions

Teacher certification not required, but specifies that instruction must be by parents. Be in a home that complies with local health and safety regulations.

http://homeschoollegaladvantage.com/files/statelaws/2012/MTPacket2012.pdf

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN