Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Does anyone know of a full curriculum (that even includes math) and is not based on a strictly Christian worldview?

"Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother." (Lin Yutang)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Valentines tickers

Daisypath Easter gifts tickers

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:50 AM
Replies (11-20):
LadyOphelia
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:19 PM

My daughter is using Calvert & I love it. The huge box of stuff they sent we had fun going through & it is not Christian Based at all. Straight up education. My son is in Florida Virtual Schools, but according to the main people each state should have one & the school district can give the info to you on it. Again, straight up education. Both were free which is awesome. We tried Global Student Network last year & was not a fan. Not that the curriculum was bad....just hated having to grade everything & some things were not as clear as they should be.

jlabadens
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:09 AM
My 13 yr old,dd & 8 yr old ds do k12 &,we,love it. Ive, recently been introduced to the head of the class website which I found interesting if nothing else...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
artistapril
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:06 AM

We use Calvert and love it so far :)

MamaDearie
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I've looked into Calvert and, so far, it just doesn't appeal to me. It seems exceedingly expensive and a bit too similar to a public school style for my taste.

MamaDearie
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:14 AM

You are one of the few people I've ever heard from that said anything positive about K12. I've heard that they are very pushy with their marketing and that children get irritated, bored, and frustrated while using them. In fact- I've heard SO much negativity about K12, I never even looked into them. Perhaps I can give them a glance...

Quoting jlabadens:

My 13 yr old,dd & 8 yr old ds do k12 &,we,love it. Ive, recently been introduced to the head of the class website which I found interesting if nothing else...

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

MamaDearie
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:58 PM

After the comment here about Evolution (and a few I have found elsewhere) speculating that their materials are in some way pirated or just a conglomeration of other curricula that could be bought cheaper elsewhere, I decided to contact them directly. Here is the email I received in response:

"Thank you for contacting Evolution Homeschool!

Evolution Homeschool is committed to providing high-quality secular homeschool curricula to modern families.  

Our curriculum is comprised of both authentic partner-provided textbooks and workbooks and Evolution Homeschool’s own proprietary subject matter: Reading, Spelling, Social Studies and Problem, Solution, Strategy (currently only 6th grade).

We are Authorized Distributors for each of our curriculum partners: Singapore Math, Evan Moor, McGraw-Hill, JackKris, SchoolZone and Pearson. We encourage customers to contact our curriculum partners directly to confirm our distributor relationship.

Customers are welcome to order Evolution Homeschool’s curriculum and, if not completely satisfied, return it, unused within 30 days for a full refund.

We will continue to post additional samples and pictures of the curriculum on our website over the next several weeks.  If you have specific questions about the curriculum, we are here to try to assist in any way.

We hope that you will choose Evolution Homeschool for your homeschooling needs!

Sincerely,
 Customer Service"

LoriAlane8
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this

We use the K12 curriculum which includes all that you need. And it is very good curriculum. There are a variety of ways to use it, either through a Virtual academy or use it all on your own.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Actually very few states offer Calvert as a virtual option right now, and sometimes the state's Calvert virtual program differs from their private school offerings (I checked it out because our state offers it).

Quoting LadyOphelia:

My daughter is using Calvert & I love it. The huge box of stuff they sent we had fun going through & it is not Christian Based at all. Straight up education. My son is in Florida Virtual Schools, but according to the main people each state should have one & the school district can give the info to you on it. Again, straight up education. Both were free which is awesome. We tried Global Student Network last year & was not a fan. Not that the curriculum was bad....just hated having to grade everything & some things were not as clear as they should be.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:46 PM

That's awesome! Do you know if they include lesson plans, or is it just textbooks?

Quoting MamaDearie:

After the comment here about Evolution (and a few I have found elsewhere) speculating that their materials are in some way pirated or just a conglomeration of other curricula that could be bought cheaper elsewhere, I decided to contact them directly. Here is the email I received in response:

Evolution Homeschool is committed to providing high-quality secular homeschool curricula to modern families.  

Our curriculum is comprised of both authentic partner-provided textbooks and workbooks and Evolution Homeschool’s own proprietary subject matter: Reading, Spelling, Social Studies and Problem, Solution, Strategy (currently only 6th grade).

We are Authorized Distributors for each of our curriculum partners: Singapore Math, Evan Moor, McGraw-Hill, JackKris, SchoolZone and Pearson. We encourage customers to contact our curriculum partners directly to confirm our distributor relationship.

Customers are welcome to order Evolution Homeschool’s curriculum and, if not completely satisfied, return it, unused within 30 days for a full refund.

We will continue to post additional samples and pictures of the curriculum on our website over the next several weeks.  If you have specific questions about the curriculum, we are here to try to assist in any way.

Sincerely,
 Customer Service"

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

MamaDearie
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:02 PM

It seems to depend on the subject matter as to how much of a lesson plan comes with it. When all is said and done, I don't think we'll be using them but I thought maybe that info would help someone else who is curious about it.

We've pretty much decided that we will probably go with Oak Meadow with a substitution (or an addition) of Singapore Math. DS has officially decided he wants to homsechool but he thinks he wants to finish out this school year. He is ready to sit down with his father (my ex-husband) and I to talk it all out. Here's hoping it goes well! And DS checked out all of the various curricula I had found and was totally enamored with OM's fifth grade curriculum (with the exception of the math). So, if this all works out, I will be using OM for DS and DD (fifth grade and kindergarten). Wish me luck!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

That's awesome! Do you know if they include lesson plans, or is it just textbooks?

Quoting MamaDearie:

Sincerely,
 Customer Service"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)