Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschool questions..kinda long!

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:34 AM
  • 26 Replies
We will start homeschooling in the fall. In my state (Oklahoma) we aren't required to do any type of testing. But I'm thinking about doing little quizzes here and there and then a "mid year test" at Christmas and then at the end of the year. Just so I can see where they are and how they are progressing. How do I go about making tests?

We plan on having a "recess" type break after lunch everyday. How do I deal with people if they say something about the kids never being in school (like public)?

If we finish all the lessons in our books say in February or march, what do we do for the remaining 180 days we are required?

Does anyone NOT have an actual classroom? How/where do you teach?

If you do have an actual classroom, what all do you have in it?

What are some supplies that you feel are must haves?

Sorry it's so long! Thanks in advance :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LadyOphelia
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Congrats on starting!! It is a joy & pain all in one....but mostly  a joy! :) 

We do ours online (free through our district) BUT while we were waiting for my daughter's supplies to come in I made up little quizzes for her. I just took the material that I gave her to work on & made up questions. But I do believe that you can find online various things.

We don't have a "classroom". My daughter has what she calls her "office" which is just a table in the back of the kitchen away from distraction. I put a world map up on the wall & we have all her stuff she needs. My son does his work (all online) at the kitchen table. We have a bookcase that has all sorts of school stuff in it. So they know where to go to get stuff they might need. Paper, notebooks, note cards, flash cards (depending on age), LOTS of pencils, crayons/colored pencils. Basically, what you would send your child to school with is what we have found they needed. Then you can always keep an eye out for discounted various art/craft sets. That way when you are having a particularly difficult day you can switch gears & do some crafting or make a picture based on whatever is going on that month. Lakeside Collection has these cool books that have for the holidays a specific book. It has crosswords, coloring, craft stuff etc. They are very inexpensive. Dollar Store is great for things too.

As for the whole going in public thing. You can get some looks, because most of the time you are done long before school gets out. My kids will tell everyone "we are homeschooled" whether they ask them or not. :) Recess time is GREAT. Lets them get out energy & be active. You can even do an activity outside.

Hope that helps some.

CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks!! Yeah I plan on doing alot of outside learning as well as in the classroom. We live right on a lake so there's lots of places to hike, do nature walks and various activities. I just want someone who doesn't know we homeschool to call the cops or the school (I know they can't do anything, but it wouldn't be good to have either called lol) I have the space for a classroom, but want to be able to save enough to make it exactly like I want it. :)

Quoting LadyOphelia:

Congrats on starting!! It is a joy & pain all in one....but mostly  a joy! :) 

We do ours online (free through our district) BUT while we were waiting for my daughter's supplies to come in I made up little quizzes for her. I just took the material that I gave her to work on & made up questions. But I do believe that you can find online various things.

We don't have a "classroom". My daughter has what she calls her "office" which is just a table in the back of the kitchen away from distraction. I put a world map up on the wall & we have all her stuff she needs. My son does his work (all online) at the kitchen table. We have a bookcase that has all sorts of school stuff in it. So they know where to go to get stuff they might need. Paper, notebooks, note cards, flash cards (depending on age), LOTS of pencils, crayons/colored pencils. Basically, what you would send your child to school with is what we have found they needed. Then you can always keep an eye out for discounted various art/craft sets. That way when you are having a particularly difficult day you can switch gears & do some crafting or make a picture based on whatever is going on that month. Lakeside Collection has these cool books that have for the holidays a specific book. It has crosswords, coloring, craft stuff etc. They are very inexpensive. Dollar Store is great for things too.

As for the whole going in public thing. You can get some looks, because most of the time you are done long before school gets out. My kids will tell everyone "we are homeschooled" whether they ask them or not. :) Recess time is GREAT. Lets them get out energy & be active. You can even do an activity outside.

Hope that helps some.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
swim-mom72
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:36 PM

WELCOME!

Many publishers provide tests and quizzes as part of their materials. That just depends on who you are using. Many publishers also have a teachers manual with answers, narration questions, teaching suggestions, and a planning guide. Off the top of my head that would be Sonlight, Winter's Promise, BJU, and My Father's World. When you say "testing" or when other homeschoolers talk about "testing" their kids, I think it refers to state mandated testing. Many, many homeschoolers still use weekly tests, spelling tests, unit tests, etc...

As far as making your materials last the 180 days, that is where planning ahead comes in. If you are trying to do the 180, then you need a calendar and a planner to give you a visual of how you will be spreading your materials out over each week. Now, not every state requires homeschoolers to do the 180 days like public schools do. It sounds like you may be wanting to recreate public school at home? No judgement from me. I just wanted to  make it clear that there are MANY, many ways to homeschool and not all of us try to stick to the 180 days, or have a classroom, or do testing. There are many faces of homeschooling : )

Must haves for us? More than one computer, printer, electric pencil sharpener, multiple sized binders, at least 2 pair od scissors, colored pencils, really good quality pencils, liquid glue and glue sticks, and A LOT of patience : )

GOOD LUCK!

LilrockerMama
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:42 PM
I would just look at the material and make up your own quizzes on what you think is most important to know and understand.

We don't have a classroom, we use the kitchen table. Tv must be off and I try to leave my phone and other distractions off or away.

If people make comments to you, for one, its not really any of their business. However, I'd simply reply that they are being homeschooled. Don't let people get to you. You know your children more than anyone else and you know what is best for them.

My daughter is 2 and doesn't really use her room other than to sleep. I've thought about making her room into the classroom because she has plenty of extra space. I'm going to be getting posters and all kinds of things from amazon, hobby lobby, oriental trading, etc.

Goodluck and congrats!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:42 PM
The 180 comes from my states law lol. We are required to do 180 days (even though the public school my kids go to right now are only scheduled 162) I'm using alpha omegas horizons for my kinder and lifepac for my then 2nd grader. We aren't required state testing or standardized testing at all. But I want to test them so I can see where they are, where they need more work and how they are progressing. I mean if we don't do the full 180, no big deal to me really. Lol. But my calendar is made out for 180 days.

Quoting swim-mom72:

WELCOME!

Many publishers provide tests and quizzes as part of their materials. That just depends on who you are using. Many publishers also have a teachers manual with answers, narration questions, teaching suggestions, and a planning guide. Off the top of my head that would be Sonlight, Winter's Promise, BJU, and My Father's World. When you say "testing" or when other homeschoolers talk about "testing" their kids, I think it refers to state mandated testing. Many, many homeschoolers still use weekly tests, spelling tests, unit tests, etc...

As far as making your materials last the 180 days, that is where planning ahead comes in. If you are trying to do the 180, then you need a calendar and a planner to give you a visual of how you will be spreading your materials out over each week. Now, not every state requires homeschoolers to do the 180 days like public schools do. It sounds like you may be wanting to recreate public school at home? No judgement from me. I just wanted to  make it clear that there are MANY, many ways to homeschool and not all of us try to stick to the 180 days, or have a classroom, or do testing. There are many faces of homeschooling : )

Must haves for us? More than one computer, printer, electric pencil sharpener, multiple sized binders, at least 2 pair od scissors, colored pencils, really good quality pencils, liquid glue and glue sticks, and A LOT of patience : )

GOOD LUCK!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilrockerMama
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I want to get a chalk board. Lol and I want to get a solar system. I just ordered a microscope and I'm really excited! I bought a book shelf and we got this other organizing shelf thing that we are using for arts and crafts and misc.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Try Quizinator online to make tests. It's free.
QueenCreole313
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:18 PM
2 moms liked this

If your kids are advancing why not just order the next grade up?

mommathea
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting CowgirlMama0508:

We will start homeschooling in the fall. In my state (Oklahoma) we aren't required to do any type of testing. But I'm thinking about doing little quizzes here and there and then a "mid year test" at Christmas and then at the end of the year. Just so I can see where they are and how they are progressing. How do I go about making tests?

We plan on having a "recess" type break after lunch everyday. How do I deal with people if they say something about the kids never being in school (like public)?

If we finish all the lessons in our books say in February or march, what do we do for the remaining 180 days we are required?

1. We don't do testing of any kind. I do correct their work daily. You will notice a trend of wrong answers if they aren't getting something. Especially if you are using a mastery type program that builds on top of the previous lesson. 

2. If someone brings it up, kindly explain to them that you homeschool and that this is Recess time, or part of their PE.  

We only school in the morning, afternoon is for play, quiet time, reading, ect. We've never had anyone actually question why the kids are outside so much, but then again we're a very vocal homeschool family who praises the virtues of homeschooling anytime it comes up in conversation.

3. We are not require to have a certain # of days but we do have credit hours. In that case you just do something each day. Whether it is a discovery Chanel program or video, a book on a historical subject, a formal art class time ect. As long as you do something for each of those 180 days. 

4. We have a home office where each child has a desk to keep their school stuff, but most days we're n the livingroom doing school, or spread out through out the house.

5. Paper, pencils, erasers, rulers, depending on age, crayons, markers, colored pencils. I love having a white board and dry erase markers, it makes explaining concepts much easier to write them out in color.

CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:10 PM
Thank you!! Yes, the books I'm using are the type that build off the previous lesson :) I will have 1 in kindergarten and one in 2nd grade this fall. So definitely going to stock up on crayons and markers lol. I'm trying to find math manipulatives. Any suggestions?

Quoting mommathea:

Quoting CowgirlMama0508:

1. We don't do testing of any kind. I do correct their work daily. You will notice a trend of wrong answers if they aren't getting something. Especially if you are using a mastery type program that builds on top of the previous lesson. 

2. If someone brings it up, kindly explain to them that you homeschool and that this is Recess time, or part of their PE.  

We only school in the morning, afternoon is for play, quiet time, reading, ect. We've never had anyone actually question why the kids are outside so much, but then again we're a very vocal homeschool family who praises the virtues of homeschooling anytime it comes up in conversation.

3. We are not require to have a certain # of days but we do have credit hours. In that case you just do something each day. Whether it is a discovery Chanel program or video, a book on a historical subject, a formal art class time ect. As long as you do something for each of those 180 days. 

4. We have a home office where each child has a desk to keep their school stuff, but most days we're n the livingroom doing school, or spread out through out the house.

5. Paper, pencils, erasers, rulers, depending on age, crayons, markers, colored pencils. I love having a white board and dry erase markers, it makes explaining concepts much easier to write them out in color.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN