Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschool questions..kinda long!

We will start homeschooling in the fall. In my state (Oklahoma) we aren't required to do any type of testing. But I'm thinking about doing little quizzes here and there and then a "mid year test" at Christmas and then at the end of the year. Just so I can see where they are and how they are progressing. How do I go about making tests?

We plan on having a "recess" type break after lunch everyday. How do I deal with people if they say something about the kids never being in school (like public)?

If we finish all the lessons in our books say in February or march, what do we do for the remaining 180 days we are required?

Does anyone NOT have an actual classroom? How/where do you teach?

If you do have an actual classroom, what all do you have in it?

What are some supplies that you feel are must haves?

Sorry it's so long! Thanks in advance :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Replies (11-20):
mommathea
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:14 PM

We use dried beans, paper clips, beads, flash cards. Nothing fancy, just what we have around the house.

Quoting CowgirlMama0508:

Thank you!! Yes, the books I'm using are the type that build off the previous lesson :) I will have 1 in kindergarten and one in 2nd grade this fall. So definitely going to stock up on crayons and markers lol. I'm trying to find math manipulatives. Any suggestions?

Quoting mommathea:

Quoting CowgirlMama0508:

We will start homeschooling in the fall. In my state (Oklahoma) we aren't required to do any type of testing. But I'm thinking about doing little quizzes here and there and then a "mid year test" at Christmas and then at the end of the year. Just so I can see where they are and how they are progressing. How do I go about making tests?

We plan on having a "recess" type break after lunch everyday. How do I deal with people if they say something about the kids never being in school (like public)?

If we finish all the lessons in our books say in February or march, what do we do for the remaining 180 days we are required?

1. We don't do testing of any kind. I do correct their work daily. You will notice a trend of wrong answers if they aren't getting something. Especially if you are using a mastery type program that builds on top of the previous lesson. 

2. If someone brings it up, kindly explain to them that you homeschool and that this is Recess time, or part of their PE.  

We only school in the morning, afternoon is for play, quiet time, reading, ect. We've never had anyone actually question why the kids are outside so much, but then again we're a very vocal homeschool family who praises the virtues of homeschooling anytime it comes up in conversation.

3. We are not require to have a certain # of days but we do have credit hours. In that case you just do something each day. Whether it is a discovery Chanel program or video, a book on a historical subject, a formal art class time ect. As long as you do something for each of those 180 days. 

4. We have a home office where each child has a desk to keep their school stuff, but most days we're n the livingroom doing school, or spread out through out the house.

5. Paper, pencils, erasers, rulers, depending on age, crayons, markers, colored pencils. I love having a white board and dry erase markers, it makes explaining concepts much easier to write them out in color.

CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:15 PM
Cool! Thanks!!

Quoting mommathea:

We use dried beans, paper clips, beads, flash cards. Nothing fancy, just what we have around the house.

Quoting CowgirlMama0508:

Thank you!! Yes, the books I'm using are the type that build off the previous lesson :) I will have 1 in kindergarten and one in 2nd grade this fall. So definitely going to stock up on crayons and markers lol. I'm trying to find math manipulatives. Any suggestions?

Quoting mommathea:

Quoting CowgirlMama0508:

1. We don't do testing of any kind. I do correct their work daily. You will notice a trend of wrong answers if they aren't getting something. Especially if you are using a mastery type program that builds on top of the previous lesson. 

2. If someone brings it up, kindly explain to them that you homeschool and that this is Recess time, or part of their PE.  

We only school in the morning, afternoon is for play, quiet time, reading, ect. We've never had anyone actually question why the kids are outside so much, but then again we're a very vocal homeschool family who praises the virtues of homeschooling anytime it comes up in conversation.

3. We are not require to have a certain # of days but we do have credit hours. In that case you just do something each day. Whether it is a discovery Chanel program or video, a book on a historical subject, a formal art class time ect. As long as you do something for each of those 180 days. 

4. We have a home office where each child has a desk to keep their school stuff, but most days we're n the livingroom doing school, or spread out through out the house.

5. Paper, pencils, erasers, rulers, depending on age, crayons, markers, colored pencils. I love having a white board and dry erase markers, it makes explaining concepts much easier to write them out in color.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrs.miller89
by Sharayah on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Where did you find the requirement of 180 days? I live in Oklahoma too and from what I have read it they should be in "school" or learning about as much time as PS kids, or about 180 days, but it's not a requirement. Oklahoma is VERY lax on their laws, there are not really any regulations. Where have you gotten your info? If you go to HSLDA's website they have a great overview of the laws and legal cases in our state. I would suggest if you're that concerned with completing 180 days, you can have your kids move on to the next grade level work, start on new stuff. This is the main reason we're homeschooling, I want DD to be able to move as quickly as she wants and not be held back by the rest of her class.

CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:51 PM
I saw it on heroes of Oklahoma and HSLDA. So we aren't required to do 180 days?? I know our public schools calendar says 162 in service days for this school year...

Ps where in Oklahoma do you live?? Wonder if your close to me!!

Quoting mrs.miller89:

Where did you find the requirement of 180 days? I live in Oklahoma too and from what I have read it they should be in "school" or learning about as much time as PS kids, or about 180 days, but it's not a requirement. Oklahoma is VERY lax on their laws, there are not really any regulations. Where have you gotten your info? If you go to HSLDA's website they have a great overview of the laws and legal cases in our state. I would suggest if you're that concerned with completing 180 days, you can have your kids move on to the next grade level work, start on new stuff. This is the main reason we're homeschooling, I want DD to be able to move as quickly as she wants and not be held back by the rest of her class.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommathea
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:05 PM

I just checked hslda and the law says 180 days of instruction. Which leaves a lot to interpretation. As long as you are doing something for those 180 days it counts. Field trip, making cookies together, ect it doesn't mean you have to do 180 days of formal bookwork.

CowgirlMama0508:

I saw it on heroes of Oklahoma and HSLDA. So we aren't required to do 180 days?? I know our public schools calendar says 162 in service days for this school year...

Quoting mrs.miller89:

arctophile
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:16 PM

We don't have an actual classroom.  We hold school at the kitchen table.  The kids all bring their stuff in, we stack it and do our lessons, then they put it away again.  My PK student will have finish her curriculum this year in the next week or 2.  When she is done, we will do more online activities and try to start kindergarten level lessons to give her  a jump on next year.  As far as tests, as you are teaching, highlight things that you feel are especially important for them to remember, then compose tests using those questions.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Photobucket

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:16 PM

We had a dining room we called the homeschool room as I had all our stuff in there, but we never use it. We learn where ever we plop down. Our most valuable tool is our iPad.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Oh, and we don't test. We move on when our kids show proficiency, so to me a test would be redundant.

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:47 PM
We have a school area in my daughters room. We have a small desk, a place for books and supplies, and we can hang our posters. We started out doing school there but moved to our table (once we finally got one). We have more room to all sit down together. The school area is still great though because we can put everything up and out of the way while not in use.
Our supplies include paper, pencils, crayons, scissors, art supplies, and construction paper. I also have printer paper, binders, and a hole puncher.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mrs.miller89
by Sharayah on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Well I'm just starting out, that was just my interpretation of it. I went back and looked at it again on HSLDA and it does say 180 days, but like another commenter said it doesn't all have to be traditional schoolwork. I guess where I took my interpretation is that otherwise, there aren't any specific guidelines you have to follow. If your kid(s) are getting an education comparable to PS and you work with them at least 180 days that's enough. Keep in mind too, this doesn't mean you have to teach them 7-8 hours a day. You can count activities like dance and sports towards school, and field trips, and any other ways they might learn besides traditional curriculum. 

Oh, and I'm on the western side of OKC. Where are you at?

Quoting CowgirlMama0508:

Quoting mrs.miller89:

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)