Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I was just thinking...about age requirement

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:30 PM
  • 4 Replies

I've been posting in here a lot and you all are wonderful! So I am getting things together for homeschooling as i do hope to do it, but am still deciding. So even though i kept looking at the laws in my state (Nebraska) and was typing stuff up, planning for paperwork and stuff and have read the laws over and over again to be sure, it just hit me that my daughter technically doesn't have to be in school until 6 years old. She turns 5 in April so that technically gives me a year still...I didn't even think about this until now but now I'm thinking, if that is true then I don't even have to send in paper work until then right?

I mean I'm half ready to send things in, just have to get the actual copy of her birth certificate and potentially get a signature from her dad (still finding out if I actually have to do that, we are divorced, but can't remember if he has to sign even though I have full custody I don't remember what our parenting plan says as I lost it in moving so much). Otherwise I have things typed up and would just need to actually fill out the paperwork so that's not an issue, but do I have to send it this year?

It says basically the cumpolsory age of attendance is 6 to 18 as calculated as of Jan. 1st of the school year. If for whatever reason I'd want to wait til she is 7 I'd just have to get a notarized statement from the school district. So basically I guess I should have known I could wait til she was 6 because I know a lot of kids that started kindergarten at 6 (I was 4 then turned 5 in just a couple weeks after school started).

This actually makes things even easier for me then because I have everything typed up for what i plan to teach and now I don't have to worry about a deadline of getting it in, though I do have to decide so I can get her registered for school if I don't homeschool. I think she is ready to start learning now, and I'm giving myself a month of teaching her to see how it goes if I can stay motivated and if me and my boyfriend decide its fine for me to not work or only work part time. I basically have to show him I can get her to learn well and keep the housework up too. I just can't believe that I didn't realize this before as many times as I've read over the laws (which there aren't many here in Nebraska)

Also one little question too, if I decided homeschooling wasn't for us after this year, but she learned everything required of a kindergartener would they just do a test to see if she was ready for 1st grade or make her go to kindergarten either way? I guess I'm asking about your states or where you would find that kind of info, cause I dont' think too many people on here are from Nebraska. I just don't want her to get stuck in kindergarten at the age of 6, because she is very smart, I'm guessing I can request a testing though if it came down to that right?

Thanks everyone for whatever answers I get!! I'm so ready for this as long as i get the opportunity to do it!!

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:39 PM
I'm not sure about the testing part. But you are correct about the compulsory age. In louisiana the age is 7. I have homeschooled the past two years with out having to worry about sending in anything. This year however she will be 7, so now I have to send in my letter.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:40 PM
No need to send it this year, though you may want to gather birth certificates and such anyway just to have :)
as for your last question, I am not sure if they would test her into first or not, maybe someone else can help :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stargazerwolf
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:57 PM

How exciting that I don't have to even bother with the sending of paperwork lol. I do plan to still get her birth certificate, meant to get it long ago lol. I will have to do some research, maybe even call the elementary school she'd be going to to ask about the testing. I like that I'll basically have a year to work on schooling with her before having to do all the extra paperwork and such, now its just convincing the boyfriend that it is better for her lol. I think I'm going to point out that we will just HAVE to go on MANY family trips that are educational (and fun) and that it opens up vacations for being anytime he can take off work rather than just a weekend during school or over a regular school break.

Thanks ladies!

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:40 PM

So glad to see you got the help you needed from the other ladies!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN