Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you homeschool for religious reason?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you homeschool for religious reasons?

Options:

Yes

No

Partly

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 75

View Results

I heard someone say that the only people who homeschool, are those doing it for religious reasons, which I don't think is true (though we do homeschool partly for this reason).  So how about a poll!

Our family blog:  beachbumacademy.blogspot.com

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:14 PM
Replies (11-20):
mrs.miller89
by Sharayah on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:45 PM

It's one benefit to me, getting to add in our religious beliefs without having to pay thousands to send her to a private school. But it's not the main reason we decided to HS and not even really towards the top if the list of reasons.

CafeMom Tickers
LongBeachLiz
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Same here. Also my dd needed a different learning environment and style.

Quoting cjsmom1:

I am not religious. I'm doing it for academic reasons

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:58 PM

We do not homeschool for religious reasons.

pinkschoolhouse
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:20 PM

No, not at all. 

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:56 PM

I'm a Christian, but that's not why we homeschool. I homeschool my daughters because of medical reasons: one has chronic pain and the other struggles with an anxiety disorder.  My son is home because of bullying. 

noraa21
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:18 AM

It's part of the reason I started, but also my son was bullied for the last two years in PS and our PS system really stinks.

Kerseygeek
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:47 AM
I homeschool my son because he started out a year ahead & needed an advanced curriculum. However, as far as religion goes, I don't want religion to have anything to do with school unless it's a religious studies course that includes all religions. We are a secular family.
cajunniki90
by Niki on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:02 AM

It's one reason, but, not my my only one.  

Kerseygeek
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:10 AM
Quoting QueenCreole313:

I've decided to homeschool first for academic reason and even political. I am Christian and plan to teach bible but I do that already. I figured we'd have more time to with homeschool. I think people stereotype all Christians as being right wing conservatives who are afraid to have their kids interact with anyone outside of the faith. This is simply untrue. I am a liberal progressive Christian who will eventually teach my son about all world religions and cultures but I believe my son needs to first know who he is before we so so.

I think it's great to teach kids about all religions as well as non-belief. I also think it's great for kids to figure out who they are. My concern is that if you don't expose them to other beliefs or ways of thinking early then they really aren't figuring out who they are. They are becoming who you teach them to be. When kids learn about the diversity of the world from an unbiased perspective that's when they truly find out who they are.
somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:18 AM
I started homeschooling before I became a Christian. It wasn't a reason to begin with it is now.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)