Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you homeschool for religious reason?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you homeschool for religious reasons?

Options:

Yes

No

Partly

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 75

View Results

I heard someone say that the only people who homeschool, are those doing it for religious reasons, which I don't think is true (though we do homeschool partly for this reason).  So how about a poll!

Our family blog:  beachbumacademy.blogspot.com

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:14 PM
Replies (31-40):
SparklingHope
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this

It's a reason, but not the main one! The main one is because my son is adhd and I refuse to use adderall and Ritalin. I don't like the affects it gives. My husband doesn't like Ritalin (he use to be on it) and I don't like the adderall cause I watched the affect it had on my brother for his ADD. 

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:19 AM
This is my exact reason for my 6 year old. How did you get him to read?

Quoting SparklingHope:

It's a reason, but not the main one! The main one is because my son is adhd and I refuse to use adderall and Ritalin. I don't like the affects it gives. My husband doesn't like Ritalin (he use to be on it) and I don't like the adderall cause I watched the affect it had on my brother for his ADD. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mjp2707
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this
A customer once said to me after the mention of homeschool " so you must be a Christian then" I said no to which he replied " I only though people homeschooled bc they are religious" I didn't realize people thought this
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SparklingHope
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Using the BOB books set and just sitting down and working with him. Still working on the reading, he's not fully there yet..but he's able to read the first few bob books by himself (beginner sets). Just making it fun, etc. Only doing a little at a time cause of the attention span..but my son retains things very quickly so that works for him doing a little at a time. 

Quoting rsrangel:

This is my exact reason for my 6 year old. How did you get him to read?

Quoting SparklingHope:

Bethsunshine
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:02 PM

It's ONE reason but not the ONLY reason!

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

Does your child have a learning disorder? Come join us!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/118063/

oredeb
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:11 PM

when i first started i homeschooled because i didnt like how the kids got away with bullying each other but after years of hsing i do it cuz i love teaching kids!

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow, we've blown that myth right out of the water!  "No" has taken the lead!

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this

No, in fact we're Agnostic, and the children's school work is 100% secular.

MaySheWillStay
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:52 PM

No. If anything, I homeschool in part because I don't want religion pushed on her by her teachers, the curriculum, or other students.

I do think there are a lot of homeschoolers do it to indoctrinate their children though, by isolating them from "unclean" secular influences. That seems to be going away in recent years, secular homeschooling replacing it, but I homeschooled for a while as a kid and I was practically the only kid in the groups I attended that wasn't ultra religious. Most of the kids there were borderline fundamentalist.

I homeschool because I like the freedom it gives us and I think school both intentionally and unconsciously subverts family ties; creates unnecessary tensions between generations and even between different aged children; serves to create and then reinforce social, economic and racial "boxes"; promotes conformism and herd mentality above all else; and kills curiousity and creativity.

bether89
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:17 PM

We started homeschooling because of issues with ps.  However, we continue to hs for many different reasons.  One of those reasons is religious.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)