Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Math Curriculum?

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:09 AM
  • 18 Replies

Hey ladies! So, I've officially decided to start homeschooling (at the most by next year!) YAYY! So, my biggest concern is with finding a good math curriculum. I was thinking of getting Abeka's math for my son (who will be in grade 5 next year.) Has anyone used it? Pros/Cons?

I also love Kumon's approach. I think I will suppliment with their drills. There workbooks are so inexpensive.

What do you do for your Math Curriculum?

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leighp1
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:21 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter is in the 5th grade and we do not use the typical Curriculum.  She is Algebra and we use TheMathPage - Algebra and I find her worksheets or we play with figures on the white board.  I have a friend that uses Abeka and loves it for her 5 kids.

good luck to you and your adventures in Homeschooling!!

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:54 AM

We use Math Mammoth here.

Next year, for Algebra 1, we'll go with Teaching Textbooks and Jacob's Algebra (Teaching Textbooks goes from grades 3-12; not Jacob's though).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

oredeb
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:03 AM

abeka is good

i use saxon(i like it better than abeka) for when the kids are 4th gr-12th

for lower grades i like rod and staff math

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:49 AM
I use waldorf math. I tried saxon and horizons.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
QueenCreole313
by Julia on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:07 PM
What do you like about Waldolf?

Quoting Boobah:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:00 PM

My son is in a private school this year and they use Abeka.  He likes it.  I prefer Horizons and it's what we use for homeschooling (and what he will switch to next year when he's back home).

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Quoting Boobah:

Did you not like Horizons?  Just curious, because we used it last year for 1st grade.  I liked it and will am planning on using it again.  However, I now need to look into this Waldorf math you mentioned!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Several things.  I like that it teaches whole math, meaning instead of just doing addition, then subtraction, then multiplication, etc you learn the whole. For example instead of saying 2+2=4 you can say "What is 4?"  Well, 4 is 1+3, 2+2, 3+1, 4+0, 2x2, 4x1, etc.  There are many ways to get 4.  

I like that you learn through stories and life instead of pure fact.  You put it to use.  "King equals needs 20 apples.  Plus brings him 10, minus didn't bring any because he has a hole in his pocket and lost them on his way.  But that's okay!  Because Times brought 8 and Divide brought 2.  Are there enough apples for King Equals?"  

That wasn't a real problem, they do a better job.  LOL But I'm just giving an example.  It isn't all story problem like that. It's hard to explain!  

If you google Waldorf math on youtube there are tons of fun videos :)

Quoting QueenCreole313:

What do you like about Waldolf?

Quoting Boobah:

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Gosh, let me think what I remember... It was okay, but it just didn't suit us. We get bored with the constant facts and worksheets.  I really like how Waldorf allows you to create your own text book (well, the child creates it) through their work.  See above for the description.  Julia (dd) is really more of a hands on, real life kind of kid.  Worksheets frustrate and bore her to tears.  When creating your own text book, not only are you writing and learning the facts, but it is almost a work of art after you are done!

Quoting rsrangel:

Quoting Boobah:

Did you not like Horizons?  Just curious, because we used it last year for 1st grade.  I liked it and will am planning on using it again.  However, I now need to look into this Waldorf math you mentioned!

WAHM of Coco Bear Cloth and retailer for several major brands including BumGenius, Flip, GroVia, Rockin Green, Piggy Paint, Melissa & Doug and more! 

Walnutgrovefarm
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:20 PM

In the past we have used Abeka and liked it then we did Bob Jones liked it also. Now that he's in 6th grade he does Math U See and we both love it. Math is not my best subject so having a DVD helps both of us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)