Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I am new to the homeschool world, and keep seeing the word unschooling... was wondering what it was. and how it is done. Thanks!

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Replies (21-29):
Proud2BWeird
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh, I'm certainly smart enough, but you're the one who made the claim. Surely you're smart enough to know the onus is on you.

Quoting ms-superwoman:

I am mobile so I can't post any links. I was required to write a ten page paper on the subject for a psychology class. I thought it was a really cool idea, until I started looking into it. I am sure you are smart enough to do a simple search.

Quoting Proud2BWeird:

Again, links. This seems to be just your opinion, and not actually based on facts.

Quoting ms-superwoman:

You would be the exception not the rule. While I know that some parents put in the time and energy, most do not.

Quoting irvinehiker:

I'm sorry, but this is not true.  I don't force, manipulate and try to fit them into a certain mold.  I facilitate learning.  I do not "let them do whatever they want".  They set goals, have chores, and actively participate in our home.  If I had a child who was having a hard time reading I would find a way to facilitate that skill, I would never just accept that they weren't going to learn.  As someone who has used boxed curriculum and now unschools, I will say unschooling is NOT sitting back and doing nothing.  In a lot of ways things were easier (for me anyway) when I had a lesson plan written out for us.  It was so much easier knowing what was suppose to happen in the day and just following a plan.  My kids don't learn best that way, so I have to use what works for them.  

Quoting ms-superwoman:

It is where parents don't school their children. They don't make them learn and basically let them do whatever they want. The idea is that kids learn on their own and if they want to learn about something, they will do it themselves. If they don't so be it, they wont learn it.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Let's all remember that we homeschoolers come in all shapes and sizes but we all have the common goal to help our children reach their full potential.
Christie1952
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:46 PM

We unschooled and raised 3 very successful adults. Unschooling is not using a boxed set of lessons. It is letting your child explore whatever they are interested in and guiding them through the process. Most subjects are easily covered, math reading, english, spelling, and science are incorporated into whatever interests them. It also is a no time alotment type setting. Such as if they do not want to study a given thing then how about watching PBS for Nova, or read a book. Good luck.

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I know this is terrible of me to think but I have started to get the feeling that she wants us to give links so she can then use them in her paper instead of doing her own research on the subject. I know I shouldn't think ill of others but it just seams odd!

Quoting Proud2BWeird:

Oh, I'm certainly smart enough, but you're the one who made the claim. Surely you're smart enough to know the onus is on you.

Quoting ms-superwoman:

I am mobile so I can't post any links. I was required to write a ten page paper on the subject for a psychology class. I thought it was a really cool idea, until I started looking into it. I am sure you are smart enough to do a simple search.

Quoting Proud2BWeird:

Again, links. This seems to be just your opinion, and not actually based on facts.

Quoting ms-superwoman:

You would be the exception not the rule. While I know that some parents put in the time and energy, most do not.

Quoting irvinehiker:

I'm sorry, but this is not true.  I don't force, manipulate and try to fit them into a certain mold.  I facilitate learning.  I do not "let them do whatever they want".  They set goals, have chores, and actively participate in our home.  If I had a child who was having a hard time reading I would find a way to facilitate that skill, I would never just accept that they weren't going to learn.  As someone who has used boxed curriculum and now unschools, I will say unschooling is NOT sitting back and doing nothing.  In a lot of ways things were easier (for me anyway) when I had a lesson plan written out for us.  It was so much easier knowing what was suppose to happen in the day and just following a plan.  My kids don't learn best that way, so I have to use what works for them.  

Quoting ms-superwoman:

It is where parents don't school their children. They don't make them learn and basically let them do whatever they want. The idea is that kids learn on their own and if they want to learn about something, they will do it themselves. If they don't so be it, they wont learn it.

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:02 PM

If a child needs to learn it & knows that they need to learn it, they will learn it!

I would like to see a link with the testing information not just take your word on it,and because the Internet is so great about having lots of information on the same subject it would be in your best interest in this argument to provide your own evidence.

Just because someone dose poorly on a test doesn't mean they are unintelligent or that they will never have successful lives. Testing has been proven to not be an accurate way to determine a persons knowledgeI have some links that I could share but I did read that you are researching unschooling for a paper   (Quoting ms-superwoman: I was required to write a ten page paper on the subject for a psychology class ) I would hate to take away that experience of researching that information for yourself so I will refrain from sharing it.

Considering that unschoolers aren't out to "PROVE" themselves to people like you, you are only going to find the extreme cases of greatness or failure because the rest of us are just fine being somewhere in the middle & not volunteering for those test that mean nothing to us. Living our lives the way we want to & not worrying about what the rest of the world thinks about us.

Quoting ms-superwoman:

And what happens when a child need to learn something, say Algebra, but they just don't want to do it? Parents don't make them, most of these kids test far below normal. While regular homeschoolers are testing at A&B, unschoolers are testing at C&D.  While I know that some parents put their all into their children's lives and really help them learn. They are the exception not the rule.

Quoting usmom3:

Most unschooling parents (myself included) consider themselves a facilitator (one that facilitates; especially: one that helps to bring about an outcome (as learning, productivity, or communication) by providing indirect or unobtrusive assistance, guidance, or supervision). We provide our children with tools, materials & encourage them to learn & discover. It is not a hands off style it is actually more hands on then other forms of homeschooling because the parents have to be willing to help in any way the child needs them to to pursue there goals. We just don't push them to learn specific things!

Quoting ms-superwoman:

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:08 PM

She (ms-superwoman) isn't even a member of the group! I think she was in here hoping to find easy to obtain information for her paper or she is a troll!

Quoting mem82:

Let's all remember that we homeschoolers come in all shapes and sizes but we all have the common goal to help our children reach their full potential.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:26 PM
I can't tell since I am mobile. Maybe she still is homeschooling? I am not agreeing with her so much as saying we all have opinions. We just don't need to fight. 8)
Bad homeschooling isn't kept to some unschoolers. Lol we have all met homeschoolers that were failing their child.

Quoting usmom3:

She (ms-superwoman) isn't even a member of the group! I think she was in here hoping to find easy to obtain information for her paper or she is a troll!

Quoting mem82:

oredeb
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:27 PM
NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:43 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting ms-superwoman:

This is ridiculous, ignorant, and insulting.   Here's is what I wrote 4 years ago about it:

My basic description of unschooling is that it's a parent-facilitated and encouraged, yet child-led education with no parental academic agendas, expectations, or demands for their kids. The child's environment should be full and rich, with access to the resources they need which allow the development of knowledge, experience, and responsibility. The child is free to choose their own educational path, and this may include choosing to start your day with a schedule, subjects, and workbooks, to spending your day playing video and board games, or even to go (back) to school. Freedom of choice is the key. Kids need to own what they do.

But in order for unschooling to be effective, there has to be a real honest Trust that your kids will, in fact, learn everything they need to learn, when they need to learn it. This is where many parents have a hard time. Unschooling isn't something done sometimes, or with some subjects. It's a whole mindset revolving around this trust. Kids are hard-wired to be curious, creative, and diligent. Look at a preschooler. They have boundless energy and ask tons of questions and are so enthusiastic about life. Homeschoolers (and especially unschoolers) don't lose that as they grow older. School kids, on the other hand, do lose a lot of it, usually by around 8 years old - having your energy squelched, questions unanswered, a constant pressure to perform, and lack of adequate sleep, will do that to a kid. 

Unschoolers learn because they truly want to learn. They go to college. They become productive adults. They love their lives. They are raised having choices. Their interests are respected and encouraged. 

The concept of unschooling is a hard one to understand for many people. It is not un-parenting, it is not educational neglect, and it is certainly not a by-product of lazy parents. It is being in-tune enough with your kids to really know what they love, how they learn, what they want, and how to get it. It's filling your child's life with wonderful experiences, opportunities, and resources and letting them have the freedom to choose what they'd like to pursue further. It's your children being a part of the real outside world all the time. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)