Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I am new to the homeschool world, and keep seeing the word unschooling... was wondering what it was. and how it is done. Thanks!

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Replies (11-20):
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Most unschooling parents (myself included) consider themselves a facilitator (one that facilitates; especially: one that helps to bring about an outcome (as learning, productivity, or communication) by providing indirect or unobtrusive assistance, guidance, or supervision). We provide our children with tools, materials & encourage them to learn & discover. It is not a hands off style it is actually more hands on then other forms of homeschooling because the parents have to be willing to help in any way the child needs them to to pursue there goals. We just don't push them to learn specific things!

Quoting ms-superwoman:

It is where parents don't school their children. They don't make them learn and basically let them do whatever they want. The idea is that kids learn on their own and if they want to learn about something, they will do it themselves. If they don't so be it, they wont learn it.

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Thank you for putting unschooling in a positive light.  :)

Quoting Boobah:

I have to say, I thought "ummm... No" when I first started homeschooling. The more I learn about it, and the more I see how traditional schooling isnt working for my kids, I see how beneficial unschooling is. I was public schooled, but I am an unschooler by nature. When something interests me, I tend to teach myself about it by reading, researching, talking to people who know about it, etc :)

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry, but this is not true.  I don't force, manipulate and try to fit them into a certain mold.  I facilitate learning.  I do not "let them do whatever they want".  They set goals, have chores, and actively participate in our home.  If I had a child who was having a hard time reading I would find a way to facilitate that skill, I would never just accept that they weren't going to learn.  As someone who has used boxed curriculum and now unschools, I will say unschooling is NOT sitting back and doing nothing.  In a lot of ways things were easier (for me anyway) when I had a lesson plan written out for us.  It was so much easier knowing what was suppose to happen in the day and just following a plan.  My kids don't learn best that way, so I have to use what works for them.  

Quoting ms-superwoman:

It is where parents don't school their children. They don't make them learn and basically let them do whatever they want. The idea is that kids learn on their own and if they want to learn about something, they will do it themselves. If they don't so be it, they wont learn it.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:14 PM
It is the thinking of "they do whatever they want" or nothing at all thst bothers me, and we arent even unschoolers, but I have lots of wonderful friends who are and I can assure you that their kids absolutely do not do whatever they want. As you stated before, they have active roles in the household. Not only are they learning important life skills, but through them they are learning many traditional school skills - reading, writing, math, science etc. they just (normally) arent learning it from a text book. I dont know about anyone else, but we left public school behond because text books werent working for us.

Excuse punctuation and typos please, this phone is awful to type on.

Quoting irvinehiker:

I'm sorry, but this is not true.  I don't force, manipulate and try to fit them into a certain mold.  I facilitate learning.  I do not "let them do whatever they want".  They set goals, have chores, and actively participate in our home.  If I had a child who was having a hard time reading I would find a way to facilitate that skill, I would never just accept that they weren't going to learn.  As someone who has used boxed curriculum and now unschools, I will say unschooling is NOT sitting back and doing nothing.  In a lot of ways things were easier (for me anyway) when I had a lesson plan written out for us.  It was so much easier knowing what was suppose to happen in the day and just following a plan.  My kids don't learn best that way, so I have to use what works for them.  

Quoting ms-superwoman:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ms-superwoman
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:37 AM

And what happens when a child need to learn something, say Algebra, but they just don't want to do it? Parents don't make them, most of these kids test far below normal. While regular homeschoolers are testing at A&B, unschoolers are testing at C&D.  While I know that some parents put their all into their children's lives and really help them learn. They are the exception not the rule.

Quoting usmom3:

Most unschooling parents (myself included) consider themselves a facilitator (one that facilitates; especially: one that helps to bring about an outcome (as learning, productivity, or communication) by providing indirect or unobtrusive assistance, guidance, or supervision). We provide our children with tools, materials & encourage them to learn & discover. It is not a hands off style it is actually more hands on then other forms of homeschooling because the parents have to be willing to help in any way the child needs them to to pursue there goals. We just don't push them to learn specific things!

Quoting ms-superwoman:

ms-superwoman
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:58 AM

You would be the exception not the rule. While I know that some parents put in the time and energy, most do not.

Quoting irvinehiker:

Quoting ms-superwoman:

Proud2BWeird
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Please provide links for these claims.

There is more than one way to learn algebra, or anything, and it doesn't have to be done with books and lecture.

Quoting ms-superwoman:

And what happens when a child need to learn something, say Algebra, but they just don't want to do it? Parents don't make them, most of these kids test far below normal. While regular homeschoolers are testing at A&B, unschoolers are testing at C&D.  While I know that some parents put their all into their children's lives and really help them learn. They are the exception not the rule.

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting ms-superwoman:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Proud2BWeird
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Again, links. This seems to be just your opinion, and not actually based on facts.

Quoting ms-superwoman:

You would be the exception not the rule. While I know that some parents put in the time and energy, most do not.

Quoting irvinehiker:

Quoting ms-superwoman:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ms-superwoman
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I am mobile so I can't post any links. I was required to write a ten page paper on the subject for a psychology class. I thought it was a really cool idea, until I started looking into it. I am sure you are smart enough to do a simple search.

Quoting Proud2BWeird:

Again, links. This seems to be just your opinion, and not actually based on facts.

Quoting ms-superwoman:

Quoting irvinehiker:

Quoting ms-superwoman:

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:06 PM

You create an interest first.  You model the behavior.  My son hated writing for the longest time.  I didn't worry about it.  I just waited until he was ready.  He is 10 and is now ready to start working on writing.  He is writing a story that is going to be 60 pages long all his idea.  He is also way ahead in Math.  I have always encouraged him to play with Math.  I think for unschooling to really work the parents need to have a love for learning.  I am a very curious person and so are my children.  I read books on science all the time just for the fun of it.  My kids are 9 and 10 and they already love learning about Alegebra.  When they were 8 they asked to study Chemistry and when they were 9 they asked to study physics.  It is all about instilling curiosity and imagination in your children.  There are ways to teach almost everything using things your children love.   

Quoting ms-superwoman:

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting ms-superwoman:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)