Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Teach together or separate?

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:20 PM
  • 8 Replies

I started out this school year teaching my oldest two together in certain subjects(health, science, history, bible, and a couple others.. Now I am seriously considering changing it to teaching them separately.
They both seem to be interested in different topics in science, my younger child is not grasping the history and it just seems like a battle to do them both at the same time now. I am seriously considering working with them both completely separate for a few months.
They are only two years apart I had hoped to keep them together, but I may be finding a completely new path with some of this. My 7 yr old is doing 1st grade work. My 5 yr old is doing K and 1st grade work.

How do you teach your children who are close in ages and grades?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I usually teach together for a short period so they can learn from each other, and then separately for individual needs. 

DesireMM
by Desire' on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I usually teach separately. I have a 4th, 3rd and 1st graders. I tried teaching the 4th and 3rd graders together. But it was too hard with the 3rd grader being special needs.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:53 PM

History and Science are together.  The rest are done at the same time but different books.   My boys are 18 months apart.

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:33 PM
Well I sat down while the middle child was napping (she's a little under the weather today), and figured out how to mostly do their lessons separate. It took me a little longer, but I feel like they did better that way.
I still did a couple things together, but I can see that as my oldest get's a little older, he will start to do more and more on his own. Like today he read all of his math instructions and his devotional by himself. I may go ahead and have him read all of those to me from now on..and then work with the younger one separately.
I am sure that as soon as I get this all figured out, someone will have a change or the youngest one will be ready to instruction and we will have to start from square one again! Lol
cjsmom1
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Bump I only have one child
oredeb
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:04 PM

hi lyndsay,

i teach my kids all together,ages10-15,

the subjects i teach apart are math and lang. arts,  we all do the same science and history and bible, during the year i have the kids write down what they want to learn about in science and history and i make up unit studies during our off time(july- august, its funny a lot of them want to learn about the same things!

i have also taught them separate in all subjects, works better if the kids are older and can be independant then they can go from subject to subject (when theres more than 2 kids)

timon95
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:41 PM

my kids are 7 1/2 and 9, they are both being taught at the same grade level - 3rd grade

BramblePatch
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:46 PM
My kids are 11 months apart and two grades apart because my older is gifted. They are also very different learners. I just started combining literature this week as an expiriment. If it works, I will combine history and science next year. We shall have to see.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)