Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OT: What is the Point?

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:42 PM
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this
So we all got the flu shots. I have liver problems and DD has a couple heart issues so it was really recommended. Well I woke up today with flu-like symptoms, and since two kids in DS hockey class have tested positive for influenza A, I went to my internist this afternoon. He said it sounds like the flu so after an exam he did a flu test (ouch!!!!!!!). It came back negative. So then he says well, the flu test is not accurate if it is early in or sometimes its just not accurate to about 28% so lets just start you on Tamiflu anyhow because the flu will hospitalize you.

So ... I had the shot, which is 63% effective and the flu test which is 62% accurate and I am still miserable on meds. Ugh..... I HATE the medical field. Truly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
swim-mom72
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Modern medicine fails on many levels. Sorry you are sick.

I had the flu last week. Homemade cough tonic, elderberry syrup and herbal tea with fresh lemon and raw honey helped SO MUCH.

Rest, rest, rest and get well soon!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:17 PM
We dont get the flu shot (or any vaccines) & rarely go to the doc for that reason, among others. I hope you get better fast!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Hope everyone feels better soon.  We have been sick for a couple weeks, finally we are getting back to normal.  

LilrockerMama
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:28 PM
We don't get the flu shot. I'm 100% against it. Lol good luck sorry you are sick
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
coala
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:05 PM

I'm sorry you are not feeling well.  I got the flu from someone who had the flumist (in the nose).  If I had known she had had that done I would have worn a mask.

My person feelings are if you get the flu shot it is a sure fire way to get the flu you didn't want in the first place.

I hope you recover quickly and not to many in your house get it!!!

RatherBeReading
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:27 PM

I hope you feel better.

I have never gotten a flu shot, and had the flu the first time this year. I told my husband they have GOT to get a better way to test for it too....I actually ended up crying in the dr office after they shoved that thing up both sides of my nose because it was so painful. 

lucsch
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:51 PM

My dh has chronic respiratory problems, so he gets the flu shot annually. He wanted me and the two kids still at home to get the shot, so even though none of the three of us had ever gotten one before, we did over a week ago. So far, so good.

My dh has bronchitis right now. So far none of us have had the flu.

I hope Tamifu helps. We all took that a few years ago when my dh had the flu. No one caught it from him, but maybe it was the extreme quarantine. He was barricaded by himself in the master bedroom for a week.

BramblePatch
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:57 AM
Yeah, I was crying too. It was horrible.

Quoting RatherBeReading:

I hope you feel better.

I have never gotten a flu shot, and had the flu the first time this year. I told my husband they have GOT to get a better way to test for it too....I actually ended up crying in the dr office after they shoved that thing up both sides of my nose because it was so painful. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Feel better! The flu shot is just one line of defense, not perfect. I don't get it but our family has no other health issues.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:27 AM

If  I remember correctly, my neighbor who was required to get the flu shot (since she works in an urgent care) said that the A strain was not in the shot and thats the strain that is going around and affecting everyone this year more so than any of the others....  I could be wrong, and I know at some point they "updated" the shot, but I don't know when...but this is exactly why I don't do the flu shot... They GUESS at what strains are goingt o be big and try to prevent people from getting it, but I don't think they've ever truly been right. My neighbor was also out of work for 2 weeks because she got the flu so badly - the strain not covered in the original shot.
Hope you feel better soon!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)