Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So we all got the flu shots. I have liver problems and DD has a couple heart issues so it was really recommended. Well I woke up today with flu-like symptoms, and since two kids in DS hockey class have tested positive for influenza A, I went to my internist this afternoon. He said it sounds like the flu so after an exam he did a flu test (ouch!!!!!!!). It came back negative. So then he says well, the flu test is not accurate if it is early in or sometimes its just not accurate to about 28% so lets just start you on Tamiflu anyhow because the flu will hospitalize you.

So ... I had the shot, which is 63% effective and the flu test which is 62% accurate and I am still miserable on meds. Ugh..... I HATE the medical field. Truly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Replies (11-17):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I heard that as well!

Quoting No_Difference:

If  I remember correctly, my neighbor who was required to get the flu shot (since she works in an urgent care) said that the A strain was not in the shot and thats the strain that is going around and affecting everyone this year more so than any of the others....  I could be wrong, and I know at some point they "updated" the shot, but I don't know when...but this is exactly why I don't do the flu shot... They GUESS at what strains are goingt o be big and try to prevent people from getting it, but I don't think they've ever truly been right. My neighbor was also out of work for 2 weeks because she got the flu so badly - the strain not covered in the original shot.
Hope you feel better soon!!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:00 PM

I refuse flu shots - end of story!

Bethsunshine
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:01 PM

That's why we don't get the flu shot!!

oredeb
by debbie on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:07 PM

awwwwwwwww

sheila5745
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:51 PM

My Dr. won't let me have the shot this yr. I have been so sick and unable to get rid of the stuff, Six doses of antibiotics since Oct. Jan. 5th, Dr. gave me and inhaler and penicillin. I have been Ok with the illness, now to find out I have an ulcer!! UUGGHH I don't think I am ever going to feel like myself again. Still recouping from surgery in Dec.

Hope you feel better....SOON..

Jenn8604
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:52 PM
yuck! feel better soon
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Aww ~ I am sorry you are sick.  That would not feel so good. :(  

On ther other hand, I am not one to go to the doctors much. For anything.  Every year my  MIL goes and gets a flu shot like she is dutifully told to do and every darned year she gets the flu!  Worse than the last year's flu too. :/ 

Quoting BramblePatch:

So we all got the flu shots. I have liver problems and DD has a couple heart issues so it was really recommended. Well I woke up today with flu-like symptoms, and since two kids in DS hockey class have tested positive for influenza A, I went to my internist this afternoon. He said it sounds like the flu so after an exam he did a flu test (ouch!!!!!!!). It came back negative. So then he says well, the flu test is not accurate if it is early in or sometimes its just not accurate to about 28% so lets just start you on Tamiflu anyhow because the flu will hospitalize you.

So ... I had the shot, which is 63% effective and the flu test which is 62% accurate and I am still miserable on meds. Ugh..... I HATE the medical field. Truly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)