Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How often

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:17 AM
  • 11 Replies

Are you buying ink cause of printing material from what you find online?? How do you save on that?? I have an HP Deskjet..I feel like it goes through like every 3-4 months..drives DH nuts. Just curious on how other homeschooling moms save money on their ink!

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sheila5745
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:30 AM

You are doing good. I go through a lot of ink and paper.. My dh asked if I didn't have enough, but I just can't help myself!! I see something I think will help her, I am going to print it.. LOL

BramblePatch
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:54 AM
2 moms liked this
I really balanced buying curriculum in hard copy vs. finding materials online. Honestly, I think the cost of ink and paper can be so insane that I just bought complete curricula. I only print/copy 6 to 10 pages a week for HS and I still go through ink every 4 months (I do print other stuff, though). I get my ink at Walmart. Its also an HP...not sure which model but it's also a fax.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Invest in a laser printer. I was buying ink every 6 weeks to two months.Now it is llike once every 9 months.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I used to go through a Ton, now I buy ink about every 8 weeks. Our local Staples gives $2 off when you bring in an empty ink cartridge.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:49 AM

We use a contnuous ink system.  You add ink directly.  Buy it in bulk.  I stock on paper at staples and use their rebates.  I just recently spent $40 on 4 bottles of ink and it should last me for a couple of years at least if not more.

SparklingHope
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I've seen the ones where you refill it yourself. I'm so nervous I'm gonna mess the ink and my printer up trying to fill it myself. lol. 

Quoting jen2150:

We use a contnuous ink system.  You add ink directly.  Buy it in bulk.  I stock on paper at staples and use their rebates.  I just recently spent $40 on 4 bottles of ink and it should last me for a couple of years at least if not more.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:11 PM

If I can do it anyone can do it.  I've had the bottles for a year or two and they have only gone down a couple of inches.  I would try it and if it doesn't work your only out a little bit of money.  If it does work you will save hundred of dollars down the line.

Quoting SparklingHope:

I've seen the ones where you refill it yourself. I'm so nervous I'm gonna mess the ink and my printer up trying to fill it myself. lol. 

Quoting jen2150:

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I have a Kodak printer.  Black ink cartridges are just over $10 each.  We've been using it since October and I just had to replace my first cartridge, but it was my brother's before that, so I don't know how long that cartridge had been in there.

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:49 PM

We don't print all the time but it seams when we do print it is a lot that gets printed all at once. I get new ink every 4-6 months. We run out of paper faster because we use it for so much more then just printing.

coala
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I honestly don't remember the last time we changed my ink cartridge.  It was awhile.  I no longer have that printer...had to throw it out before Christmas.  I had an ant colony of all things in my printer in my office....it was the strangest thing.  It does sit near a window.  My SO just brought the brand new printer into my office but hasn't hooked it up yet, but the cartridges for this one are way cheaper and I will be doing more printing b/c we are changing things up a bit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)