Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
I'm really tired of the public school situations and the inappropriate things they are trying to force on my 7 & almost 9 year old girls. I've sent an interest form in to the GCA for next school year and am hopeful we are accepted. Any advice for homeschooling for the first time? I also have a one year old.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Replies (11-20):
k.vickery26
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Also I live in Georgia
romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Your State Home School Association is GHEA. Their site can help you with Georgia home school laws, support groups and more.  

Quoting k.vickery26:

Also I live in Georgia

momoftwobugs
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this

First of all good luck with getting started. I wanted to make sure that if GCA uses K12 it is not curriculum specially created for the child, the support is hit or miss, and social activities are not what they are advertised.

With that being said K12 can be a great program. I am currently using it in Florida. I just don't want you to think that you really are getting all of that and then be upset when you find out it's not like that.

You will have a teacher that you can ask for help and will meet with you once a month to see how things are going. The curriculum is standard for everyone in your district and state. You have to meet 25% progress and the required number of hours per quarter or you will be noncompliant. You must log attendance each day that there is school for your district unless you mark it as a vacation day.

With all of that being said, I would and will use K12 again. They have been good to work with. I have had a few struggles but we are getting through them and getting better at it each day.

Quoting k.vickery26:

The GCA is the Georgia Cyber Academy. Its an online public school that is accredited but is minus the propaganda and minus talking to small children about sex. Two big reasons we're trying to get out of Douglas county schools. They specially create the curriculum for the child, there's tons of support, other ways to be social, and they'll be able to help me keep them from falling behind. I'll still be the one teaching them but I'm afraid of not having someone keep tabs until I'm used to doing it.

Quoting oredeb:

hi vickery!! welcome

why would you have to be excepted? what is gca?

For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul. 

~ Judy Garland

k.vickery26
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:47 PM
So glad you told me! I spoke with quite a few people and read their website but it means more to heart it straight from another parent whose actually been a part of it. In your opinion would I be better off trying to do this without the program?

Quoting momoftwobugs:

First of all good luck with getting started. I wanted to make sure that if GCA uses K12 it is not curriculum specially created for the child, the support is hit or miss, and social activities are not what they are advertised.

With that being said K12 can be a great program. I am currently using it in Florida. I just don't want you to think that you really are getting all of that and then be upset when you find out it's not like that.

You will have a teacher that you can ask for help and will meet with you once a month to see how things are going. The curriculum is standard for everyone in your district and state. You have to meet 25% progress and the required number of hours per quarter or you will be noncompliant. You must log attendance each day that there is school for your district unless you mark it as a vacation day.

With all of that being said, I would and will use K12 again. They have been good to work with. I have had a few struggles but we are getting through them and getting better at it each day.

Quoting k.vickery26:

The GCA is the Georgia Cyber Academy. Its an online public school that is accredited but is minus the propaganda and minus talking to small children about sex. Two big reasons we're trying to get out of Douglas county schools. They specially create the curriculum for the child, there's tons of support, other ways to be social, and they'll be able to help me keep them from falling behind. I'll still be the one teaching them but I'm afraid of not having someone keep tabs until I'm used to doing it.

Quoting oredeb:

hi vickery!! welcome

why would you have to be excepted? what is gca?

k.vickery26
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:52 PM
2 moms liked this
This was very helpful. Thank you :)

Quoting romacox:

Your State Home School Association is GHEA. Their site can help you with Georgia home school laws, support groups and more.  

Quoting k.vickery26:

Also I live in Georgia

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group!!  :)

momoftwobugs
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Well that depends. I'm sure you would prefer a yes or no answer, but this is one area where it is more about personal preference. I like the K12 program because it makes me be accountable for what we are doing. I also like that if someone has an issue with homeschooling it is more of an accepted way of doing it so it helps with dealing with those people.

I love having the support of a teacher as well. Our teacher has been wonderful to answer any questions that I may have and offer suggestions for when we are struggling. The curriculum is very easy to follow and is pretty much all laid out for you.

Basically it all comes down to whether or not you feel you need the structure and the accountability. That was a huge thing for me. I am no longer with my children's father and the only way he would agree to homeschooling was if we had that. Of course I don't really have to have his permission, but it does make it easier. It also makes it easier to make sure we are on track and doing what we need to be doing.

If you're on Facebook check out this group https://www.facebook.com/groups/136645019753665/?ref=ts&fref=ts. It is a group for those in the GCA that use K12. They would be able to tell you a lot more about the specifics for your state as well.

Quoting k.vickery26:

So glad you told me! I spoke with quite a few people and read their website but it means more to heart it straight from another parent whose actually been a part of it. In your opinion would I be better off trying to do this without the program?

For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul. 

~ Judy Garland

k.vickery26
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Thanks so much to everyone for all the information, guidance, and positive feedback! So glad I joined this group :) This has been really helpful
k.vickery26
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:07 AM
I feel like you do. I need the structure and a way to stay on track. Thanks so much for your input :)

Quoting momoftwobugs:

Well that depends. I'm sure you would prefer a yes or no answer, but this is one area where it is more about personal preference. I like the K12 program because it makes me be accountable for what we are doing. I also like that if someone has an issue with homeschooling it is more of an accepted way of doing it so it helps with dealing with those people.

I love having the support of a teacher as well. Our teacher has been wonderful to answer any questions that I may have and offer suggestions for when we are struggling. The curriculum is very easy to follow and is pretty much all laid out for you.

Basically it all comes down to whether or not you feel you need the structure and the accountability. That was a huge thing for me. I am no longer with my children's father and the only way he would agree to homeschooling was if we had that. Of course I don't really have to have his permission, but it does make it easier. It also makes it easier to make sure we are on track and doing what we need to be doing.

If you're on Facebook check out this group https://www.facebook.com/groups/136645019753665/?ref=ts&fref=ts. It is a group for those in the GCA that use K12. They would be able to tell you a lot more about the specifics for your state as well.

Quoting k.vickery26:

happymom0609
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I am new to homeschooling as well. I started near the end of the second term though. My best advice is not to become overwhelmed. Take the time to find your child's learning style and take the time to really understand your states requirements and what is expected from you in terms of educating them. In NYS it is very specific in what is expected. Compulsory attendance, IHIP's, syllabus, materials used and even testing. There are alot of we bsites and blogs out there from fellow homeschooling moms that are very useful. They take the time to post alot of their ideas and creations, most of which can be downloaded and used for free. Good luck.

giving mom gift

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)