Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Anyone use oak meadow?

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:12 AM
  • 5 Replies
Does anyone use Oak Meadows curriculum? Specifically kindergarten and 2nd grade? (Or any other grade!) I have some questions!!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Pukalani79
by Kristin on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I do. My kids are in the 2nd, 3rd and 5th grades.

CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Cool!! Do you purchase their craft kits? Or do you do them yourself? Can I get your opinion on the curriculum? Thanks!!

Quoting Pukalani79:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:25 PM

We used Oak Meadow for the first half of the year.  We used 2nd and 4th.  It is a nice program, just wasn't a good fit for our family.

BramblePatch
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:06 PM
I did not purchase the craft kits. I found most items at Michaels. However, the curriculum (both K and 1st) was a major fail for us and we shelved it after 10 weeks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pukalani79
by Kristin on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:51 PM

We did get the craft kit, although I'm sure you could find most of it at a local craft store. 

I LOVE this curriculum for my oldest (5th).  I like that it has a weekly lesson rather than daily ones.  It fits our family much better.  It's also a project oriented curriculum which we love.  I like hands-on learning.  At least for his grade, language and history all tie in together.  So his writing and reading assignments have to do with what he's learning in history.  I love it!

With the younger two (2nd and 3rd) we needed to get a math supplement.  We got Spectrum math for them.  I liked the curriculum for them up til now actually.  For both of them it's getting into maps: drawing maps based on stories and legends we had studied previously. I think it could be great, but it would bore my daughters to tears, so we had to try a different tactic.  I decided to teach all of them out of my oldest's book.  We do the history together, then my son does his assigned reading/writing, while I find level-appropriate books and writing assignments for the younger two. 

As far as their science goes, I don't do the Oak Meadow curriculum.  We started Apologia's Astronomy because, again, it is something we can all do together. I just find that it works much better for us that way. 

I will definitely be using Oak Meadow again next year.

Quoting CowgirlMama0508:

Cool!! Do you purchase their craft kits? Or do you do them yourself? Can I get your opinion on the curriculum? Thanks!!

Quoting Pukalani79:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)