Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling i need help lol...

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:16 AM
  • 10 Replies

Goodmorning im new to homeschooling have no idea what im doing lol my daughter is 16 had alot of problems with her school..hope i meet some friends and get some help too :)

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:31 AM
LOL welcome!
I think we all feel that way at the beginning! Have you started, yet?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommapbear
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Not yet still trying to figure it out my daughter is in the 11th grade any tips ?

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Welcome! 

Aside from any state requirements, I suggest searching out 11 grade Scope & Sequence which Willkie you an idea what to get started on. Also www.khanacademy.org has reat math & sciences

mommapbear
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:43 AM

thanks alot i will do that..

SusanTheWriter
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Hi! I pulled my DD out of her freshman year at Easter when she was 14 and we're homeschooling through this, her sophomore year. A gifted student, she was failing almost all her classes, and she had some pretty severe emotional issues.

So I've been in your shoes! Can you narrow down what it is you need? Have you checked your state laws for withdrawal procedures, as well as requirements for homeschooling? Is she on board with the idea of hs'ing? How does your DH feel about hs'ing?

What classes is she taking? What does she want to do after high school? What are her academic strengths and weaknesses?

mommapbear
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Hi im new so searching for materials my daughter has health problems so i took her out ive been talking to a friend on what to do im in ky and she says its legal to pull her out not trying to figure out how to get started can u help me ? weakness math

SusanTheWriter
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:47 PM

http://www.kheahomeschool.com/?q=node/11

That's the link to the Kentucky Homeschool Education Association. The law indicates that you needed to send a letter to the district telling him that you have established a home school and that your daughter will be enrolled there.

http://www.homeschoolinginthebluegrass.com/kentuckyhomeschoollaws.htm

This takes you the CHEK site, which is the Christian Home Educators of Kentucky. They provide a sample letter of intent and more information on the legalities of homeschooling in your state.

KY requires that you teach the following subjects:
State law requires that instruction be offered in English and in the branches of study that are taught in the public schools.  This is interpreted to include at least reading, writing, spelling, grammar, history, mathematics and civics.

You have several options, but the first thing I advise you to do is learn a bit about "deschooling." It's the process where you and your child slowly make the transition to being full-time homeschoolers. It can take several weeks to really decompress from school and adjust to the idea of learning at home. If you start tossing new school work at her next week, she won't be ready yet. I know it feels like you're under a big time crunch, but believe me, if you don't take the time now, you'll be forced to take it later when you, or she, or both of you crack.

While she's deschooling and relaxing, you can take the time to start researching specific curricula and local homeschool groups. You can examine what classes she has already taken, what she has left to study, and what method of homeschooling will work best for you.

Take a deep breath and enjoy the time you have with your dd!

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:44 PM
Hypergrammer on the search bar
reading writing language
Damand.com

Quoting mommapbear:

Goodmorning im new to homeschooling have no idea what im doing lol my daughter is 16 had alot of problems with her school..hope i meet some friends and get some help too :)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Welcome to the group, looks like the other Moms have given great advice & information I hope it helps you find your way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN